ArcPad Camera, ArcPad10, Yuma: How to get photos bigger than 640x480?

03-15-2012 02:00 PM
JenAshlin
New Contributor
ArcPad 10.0 Build 55, Yuma (Rear Camera), Camera Switching Utility v1.1

Settings: Set picture quality to maximum

Advance Settings: ArcPad Camera: Options
Shows camera as "USB Video Device" no option to choose other
Size set at 1600x1200

Open the ArcPad Camera to take a photo.  Top of screen shows 640x480 size, even though prefs still say 1600x1200.
Photos taken are confirmed as 640x480 (eww--too small).

My guess is this is something between the Camera Switching Utility and ArcPad 10.0??

Confirmed it's not a hardware issue -- the camera shoots in bigger sizes from other applications.
Tags (3)
11 Replies
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III
Jen

I had this same issue with our Trimble Juno SB and arcpad. I am pretty sure the solution for me was to change my arcpad camera setting from the option, ArcPad Camera to Windows Mobile Camera.

I also changed the size of the picture in the windows camera options

When I look at that now I have both of those options available.

I know this doesn't help in your situation but it may put you on the right path.
0 Kudos
JenAshlin
New Contributor
Thanks for the input, but I don't have another camera to choose from.  In the camera menu there is ONLY ArcPad Camera.

I have checked with other users, and this issue isn't just on my unit. This appears to be a problem in the software.

For my workflow, a VERY ANNOYING problem in the software.  Why buy hardware with built in GPS cameras, when the software restricts them to too-small resolution? How could I have forseen this problem? /venting

Hopefully someone will design a work-around? or a bug fix.
0 Kudos
AlfonsKrismann
New Contributor
I have the same problem with 2 camera. Opening the webcam-software at highest resolution (1600x1200) arpadcamera is changing to 1600x1200 but the photos are black. Changing the ArcPadCamera.apx (<Property name="capturesize" type="int" value="15"/>) don´t solve the problem. It´s nerving!
0 Kudos
RyanSims
New Contributor
We tried using the cameras on the Yuma, and found out the quality plus the viewing of images was not good at all. We began using Eye Fi cards and it made things a lot easier.  If you want to stick to the way you are doing it...I believe you can go inside arc pad  into advanced options and change the setttings to not use the Arc Pad viewer (Just uncheck it) and rather use the Windows Viewer.
0 Kudos
DonParkinson
New Contributor
We tried using the cameras on the Yuma, and found out the quality plus the viewing of images was not good at all. We began using Eye Fi cards and it made things a lot easier.  If you want to stick to the way you are doing it...I believe you can go inside arc pad  into advanced options and change the setttings to not use the Arc Pad viewer (Just uncheck it) and rather use the Windows Viewer.

Hi Ryan,

Did you ever get this problem resolved?  I'm running into the same issue!

Don
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
All,

Please contact Esri Support and submit support request to have yourself/company attached to known issue in ArcPad. It is NIM089150; Fix camera extension for non-Windows Mobile devices to save correct resolution picture in ArcPad.

Thank you,
Denise
0 Kudos
NickKopczyk1
New Contributor III
So just to clarify.  Does this mean that there is no solution to this?  Or does that mean that if you call support they can help work around it?  Thanks
0 Kudos
KyleCollins
New Contributor
So just to clarify.  Does this mean that there is no solution to this?  Or does that mean that if you call support they can help work around it?  Thanks

It means that if you go to the SUPPORT page, and type into the "Search Support" field the ~ NIM089150
the web page will open a report that says that the Bug / Problem is still OPEN. 

However, I did notice the complaint said that the problem existed only on NON-Windows Mobile devices.  (UNTRUE)

You can ask ESRI to add your company name to the request list, giving more weight to the request by having more complainants on the list.  This may help in getting a fix or workaround from ESRI.

As Ryan suggested in his post, using an OUTBOARD camera in combination with an EyeFi SD card bonded to the mobile unit, allows you to choose the size picture you want, but this may require that you manually select the picture to associate to the feature.

We have used the Panasonic Lumix TS4 for a number of years with great success and have yet to lose a camera to failure. Maybe we're lucky, but Houston Bayou's are a harsh environment.
0 Kudos
NickKopczyk1
New Contributor III
Kyle,

Thanks for the quick reply.  We're using Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2's as the platform.  As for right now the workaround is to go out of ArcPad, take a picture with the native camera app (8MP), then go back and link to it from ArcPad.  Not the best solution but it'll work for now.  This is the second baseline problem we've had with ArcPad in the Windows 8 environment.  The other was the recently fixed Windows API GPS issue.  You'd think they'd have this fixed by now as I'm not the only person moving to Win 8 Tablets.  When I was working on the GPS issue there were many others having the same issue and I assume the same amount having the camera issue.

Frusterated would be the bottom line at this point.
0 Kudos