ArcPad/ArcGIS 10 ignores Definition Query??

07-13-2011 02:26 PM
nev
by
New Contributor III
Is this a bug or is it some problem at my end? ArcGIS10 build 2800 ArcPad 10 SP2, ticking the "only get features in the definition query" is ignored.
Whatever I try, checking out data to arcpad gets all features, not just those defined by the definition query.  I have been running this process successfully in previous versions for years.

I have tried different data, tried the checkout from data manager toolbar and tried configure project for geoprocessing.  Can someone just confirm that this feature does actually work in v10?

Thanks
Mick
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
All,

If you are using ArcPad 10.0 and finding that layer definition queries are being ignored than you are likely encountering NIM078558: Select, Identify still finds filtered (layer definition query) records. We apologize for the inconvenience this issue is causing you or your ArcPad workflows. Please contact Esri Support and submit support request to have your Esri Customer # added to NIM078558. Please include any specifics including which ArcPad 10 update you are using and the type of definition query which is ignored.

Thank you,
Denise
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III
Hi Denise,

I'm a bit confused why this is so difficult to fix?  It works fine in SP1 and has worked in every version before that.  I submitted and had this bug confirmed over a year ago(with ESRI Australia which is our only option here), I'm surprised more people dont seem to have a problem with it but it still seems like a reasonably major bug and shouldnt be a big effort to unbreak it?   Is it difficult or has it just not been a priority and not been bothered with?  If thats the case, fair enough, i'm just curious to know.

Without this working i am transfering back and forth a featureclass with 80,000 points in it instead of about 2000 with the def query applied.  The file is to large, takes to long to transfer so i have to stay with SP1 (and deal with the bug where custom script files do not get applied to new checkouts).

Thanks,
Mick

Edit: I had a look back through my correspondence with ESRI Australia.  ESRI US confirmed the bug and raised it as NIM071216 in August 2011.  I just checked that bug and it has Status: Declined.  What's that about?
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III

HA!  10.2.4, 6 years on, still not fixed!

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor
I'll start with what some might see as software development jargon, but bare with me I will get to an honest proposal. This bug is not 'fixed' because technically its not 'broken'.
What happened between SP1 and SP2 is that the behavior was changed by design. In SP2 onward, at check out, the definition query was imported into the AXF deliberately to support the ability to have a single feature table, which could be referenced by many feature layers. This enables users to symbolize layers differently, but only have one set of attributes stored and no duplication. 
The behavior Mick describes is equally valid in his specific case ie: use the definition query to cookie cut the data that is checked out to ArcPad, but for some users this would result in multiple copies of the same attribute data. 
Coincident with this most recent comment we are looking at some fixes for ArcPad and are contemplating a number of very isolated changes in the AXF that will help current users. 
Mick - If there was an option in the Data Manager that allowed you to choose how to treat the definition query at check out - either:
  1) Apply the definition query before check out and have 1:1 tables to layers in your AXF, or 
  2) Export the definition query to the AXF and keep 1:M tables to layers in your AXF
Would option 1 suit your project needs? (Option 2 is the current behavior in ArcPad).
0 Kudos
nev
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info, that is the first i have heard about it being by design and not a bug. My requirements are fairly simple, i guess option 1).  If there is a definition query on the layer I need only features that meet the query to be checked out, not the whole layer.  If it were an option in the data manager it would need to be accessible from code.  It is all done using the GeoProcessor object and executing "ProcessArcpadProject" in a .net application.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

I usually loathe describing issues as design / bugs / enhancements because these classifications are very subjective (one persons enhancement is another persons bug!) but i wanted to in this case, so i could outline the different behaviors that exist.

Its great to hear you are using this Process ArcPad Project toolbox tool. Initially i did only think of check out wizard in ArcMap, but yes the change would also be in the toolbox tool and accessible with code.

0 Kudos