ArcPad 10.0 Error Message: "Error Extracting Default Configuration"

Jump to solution
02-22-2012 04:12 AM
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II
Upon attempting to open ArcPad, I immediately receive the message "Error Extracting Default Configuration".

The default configuration .apx file is appropriately located in the systems folder on my C:\ drive where ArcPad is installed.  I am able to open and fully use ArcPad Studio, and the default configuration .apx appears to look as it always has.  This problem occurred out of the blue.  I had ArcPad open one minute and the next it threw me this error.  Possibly re-install? Thoughts? 

Thanks
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Chris,

Try renaming the entire My ArcPad folder.

C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\My ArcPad

Any difference?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimHopper
Timothy,

Try renaming or deleting the following file:

C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\My ArcPad\ArcPad.apx

If that doesn't work, please verify in a response that your user profile is stored in the default location and has not been changed to a different location.
0 Kudos
ChristopherBowering
Tim,

Thank you for your quick response.  I deleted the ArcPad.apx from the MyArcPad folder in the location you provided but continue to encounter the same error.  My account is located in the default location: C:\Users\<user>.  ArcPad is installed in the following location: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcPad10.0.  The main ArcPad.apx file is located in the systems folder of the aforementioned location, C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcPad10.0\System.  I did not install ArcPad on my machine because I do not have admin rights to do so.  Timothy McElligott is my direct supervisor while our IT department handles installs.  I have not moved/deleted any files since I started using ArcPad a couple months ago, so this error suddenly appearing has been very confusing.

Thank you,

Chris Bowering
Public Works Planning Aide
Ontario County DPW
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Chris,

Try renaming the entire My ArcPad folder.

C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\My ArcPad

Any difference?
0 Kudos
ChristopherBowering
Tim,

The pathway you suggested already is the pathway for the My ArcPad folder.  I'm not positive how my IT department installed it, but there are different pathways:

'My Arcpad' is located: C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\My ArcPad
'ArcPad 10.0' is located: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcPad10.0

I'm attaching a screenshot of what the ArcPad 10.0 folder looks like.

There has been no difference thus far.
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Those file paths are appropriate.

In my last post I was requesting that you actually rename the entire My ArcPad folder.  This will cause a brand new folder with new configuration files to be generated upon start up of ArcPad.  Did you try this?

You already tried renaming ArcPad.apx and it made no difference.  My request to rename the entire folder would take care of any other config files (such as ArcPadPrefs.apx or ExtensionPrefs.apx) which may have become corrupted.

Please verify that you have renamed the My ArcPad folder and restarted ArcPad.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
ChristopherBowering
Success!  I actually had to delete the entire 'My ArcPad' folder, not just the .apx file, and allow the program to re-write the folder in C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\

If this is something you suggested attempting, I apologize for missing it.  The individual who used to assist me with these issues recently left so I've been trying to learn a-lot in a short period of time.  I greatly appreciate your time and assistance.

Thank you,

Chris Bowering
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Not a problem, I'm glad you got it running.

That's exactly what I meant in my above posts.  I suggested renaming (instead of deleting) as you then have that original folder just in case you need it.  As long as ArcPad doesn't find a folder (or file) that it's looking for, it will create a new one.  Renaming the folder (to something such as "My ArcPad Old") would achieve the same result.
0 Kudos