Visual Studio 2019 and ArcMap/ArcObjects 10.8

Jump to solution
12-04-2020 03:06 PM
isburns
New Contributor III

According to the documentation , Visual Studio 2019 is supported for use with the ArcObjects SDK in 10.8. A 10.8 project I built in Visual Studio 2017 builds, but the add-in for the project is not created. In the past, this has been a culprit of the ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.targets in the XML code of the project file as documented here. I'm familiar with this and have made these changes in the past, but couldn't figure it out quickly on my new computer with fresh installs of Visual Studio and ArcMap. So, I decided to just create a new add-in project from scratch in Visual Studio 2019 to look for any differences that could be causing the problem. However, on the Create New Project screen (see screenshot), I couldn't find any ArcGIS entries as described in the documentation here.

Visual Studio Project Templates.png

Next, I went looking for the ESRI folder within the MSBuild folder referred to in the second link, so now I'm wondering if perhaps the SDK isn't being completely installed with Visual Studio 2019 installations. Has anyone else used Visual Studio 2019 with ArcMap and ArcObjects 10.8?

Thanks

Shea

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
isburns
New Contributor III

An uninstall/reinstall of the ArcObjects SDK fixed this issue for me and now the add-in is created and the templates show up when creating a new project. Performing a repair of the ArcObjects SDK on Friday did not work. I'm not sure why the initial install or repair didn't work- Visual Studio Community 2019 did appear (see screenshot) during setup and there were no errors during the install. Also, when troubleshooting the issue, I noticed it is possible to have Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 installed concurrently, recognized by the ArcObjects SDK setup program, and the SDK installed and working for both.

ArcObjects SDK - Select Features.png

Shea

View solution in original post

3 Replies
isburns
New Contributor III

An uninstall/reinstall of the ArcObjects SDK fixed this issue for me and now the add-in is created and the templates show up when creating a new project. Performing a repair of the ArcObjects SDK on Friday did not work. I'm not sure why the initial install or repair didn't work- Visual Studio Community 2019 did appear (see screenshot) during setup and there were no errors during the install. Also, when troubleshooting the issue, I noticed it is possible to have Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 installed concurrently, recognized by the ArcObjects SDK setup program, and the SDK installed and working for both.

ArcObjects SDK - Select Features.png

Shea

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I am interested in your solution, would you say if you were going to start from scratch install VS 2019 first then install ArcObjects SDK?

0 Kudos
isburns
New Contributor III

I think that's what I had done initially, otherwise I'm not certain the SDK would have installed, but I'm not positive at this point. If it does allow you to install the SDK without having Visual Studio installed first, then I'm guessing that's what I did initially and that was my problem. So yes, I would recommend having VS 2019 installed first, then install the SDK.

Fortunately if it allows you to and you did it backwards, the uninstall/reinstall of the SDK was fairly quick (5-10 minutes, and no reboots that I recall).