Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Crashes when an ESRI Control is displayed

07-07-2012 02:50 PM
KenDinsmore
New Contributor
I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and I have just upgraded my ESRI software (ArcReader, Engine, Desktop, Server, License Manager, and ArcObjects SDK for MS .Net to version 10.1. I have multiple VS projects that were working under ESRI version 10. But now when I open the forms in design mode, if the form has an ESRI control on it, Visual Studio crashes. By crash I mean that the IDE disappears and the devenv.exe process continues to run but becomes completely inaccessable.  I can build these projects and produce new executables that work under 10.1 (yes, I changed all of my file references). I have tried following the "Building a map viewing application using the ArcGIS Engine controls" walkthrough and as soon as I drop the license control on the form, VS crashes.

I suspect that there is some problem that happened during installation, but it looks like everything is fine, I can see the templates for ArcGIS Desktop Add-Ins, Extending ArcObjects and Server Object Extensions. The Framework is set to 3.5, and I have tried 4.0. I've checked my licensing and I have the ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit Version 10.1 product installed and Authorized.

Any ideas about what else could be going wrong here?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DaveCouture
New Contributor III
You are making me nervous about upgrading 10 to 10.1.  Have you contacted ESRI Tech Support about this issue?
0 Kudos
KenDinsmore
New Contributor
So far the solutions I tried include:
1. Repair the ArcObjects SDK - didn't work.
2. Uninstall and re-install the ArcObjects SDK - This is weird, after I did this I was able to open a form with a MapControl one time. Everything looked great, I was happy, but the next time I tried to open it the bits flew everywhere and Visual Studio crashed again.
3. Uninstall Visual Studio and re-install it - didn't work.
4. Uninstall the ArcObject SDK, uninstall Visual Studio, re-install Visual Studio, re-install the ArcObjects SDK - didn't work.

If I don't get a solution in the next day or so, I'm going back to 10.0.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
You should be able to debug Visual Studio.  My suggestion is to use WinDbg but another instance of Visual Studio might work as well.

What you want to find out is what is causing the crash.  Perhaps it is an add-in?
0 Kudos
AysberqTundra
Occasional Contributor
I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and I have just upgraded my ESRI software (ArcReader, Engine, Desktop, Server, License Manager, and ArcObjects SDK for MS .Net to version 10.1. I have multiple VS projects that were working under ESRI version 10. But now when I open the forms in design mode, if the form has an ESRI control on it, Visual Studio crashes. By crash I mean that the IDE disappears and the devenv.exe process continues to run but becomes completely inaccessable.  I can build these projects and produce new executables that work under 10.1 (yes, I changed all of my file references). I have tried following the "Building a map viewing application using the ArcGIS Engine controls" walkthrough and as soon as I drop the license control on the form, VS crashes.

I suspect that there is some problem that happened during installation, but it looks like everything is fine, I can see the templates for ArcGIS Desktop Add-Ins, Extending ArcObjects and Server Object Extensions. The Framework is set to 3.5, and I have tried 4.0. I've checked my licensing and I have the ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit Version 10.1 product installed and Authorized.

Any ideas about what else could be going wrong here?

I had similar problem. But I found solution of that problem. The reason of that problem was '&' symbol. Inside of Visual Studio project folder path was a '&' symbol (Example: D:\D&S\Aysberq\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects). I changed visual studio default project path. After that the problem solved.
0 Kudos
SteffanVoss
New Contributor II
I had similar problem. But I found solution of that problem. The reason of that problem was '&' symbol. Inside of Visual Studio project folder path was a '&' symbol (Example: D:\D&S\Aysberq\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects). I changed visual studio default project path. After that the problem solved.

I have the same problem. However, I have no <&> symbol in my path and it still does not work.
0 Kudos
FrankHellwich
New Contributor
We have the same situation on two developer machines with Windows7 64 bit, Visual Studio 2010 premium german and ArcGIS Engine SDK 10.1. I contacted the ESRI support but without any solution. So we uninstalled the SDK and Visual Studio and reinstalled the whole environment checking every step. As soon as I installed the Resharper tools (jetbrains, versions 6 and 7) the crash-problem appears. But:

• the same environment works perfectly with ArcGIS 10.0

• I had no problems with Resharper and other components so far

• I guess we're not the only ones using this combination

There seems to be no other solution than cleaning the machine and start with a fresh windows-installation from the very first. 😞
But before I would like to know the problem because I don't want to spend useless efforts - any ideas ?
0 Kudos
talraz
by
New Contributor
i encountered the same thing when creating a user control which has esri's controls inside.
while "breaking my head" to figure out what can possibly go wrong i figured out it has something to do with their new license initialization workflow:
1. put in each user control ,at the 1st line of its deafult constructor, the esri.arcgis.bindinglicense.bind( ..) line.
2. rebuild your project.
this worked out for me. you can also ask the "designmode" flag because it is redundant in runtime.

moreover i converted my project from 9.3.1 to 10.1 and i encountered a strange behaviour and hard application crashes (it skips try..catch and application exits).  it appears that my old checklicense() function was written a little bit different than current up to date esri's license check sample. i was checking for product code availability and just then i initialized license- everything seem to work but on several points when accesing esri's objects the app closed immidietly.  again my blames were focused on license- on last esri's documentation they call aoinitialize.init() and just then they check for product availability..  clearly they have a bug but again my application is stable now..

hope it will help you..
0 Kudos
DanielaHeinrich
New Contributor II
Hi,

I have the same problem. Visual Studio 2010 chrashes if I run it as Administrator for compiling.
My solution:
- Edit and save my code in Visual Studio as normal user.
- Compile the project in the Visual Studio console, which is started as Administrator, and compile with msbuild.
- For debugging I start another Visual Studio with second project that includes my esri-project.

It works, but it's annoying...

Daniela
0 Kudos