VB.NET R9.3 to R10 & VS 2005 to 2010 Migration Issue

12-14-2011 03:34 AM
ThomasDanninger
New Contributor II
I supplied a standalone VB.NET program to my department that was developed and ran fine on Desktop R9.3.  Recently everyone migrated to R10 and I migrated my development environment to R10 and Visual Studio 2010.  I followed the ESRI migration recommendations, recompiling and making the necessary changes.  The routine tested fine on my machine (Windows 7) and on several other users' R10 Windows 7 machines.  However, there is one machine, a Dell running Windows 7 and R10 on which it will not execute correctly.  Upon execution the splash screen displays correctly then I get a message from the operating system telling me there was a problem and it's checking for a solution (course it can't find one).  I've checked all the usual suspects: dotnet framework, target environment, etc. Anyone run into a problem like this or know of anything other than the suggested ESRI migration changes that could be causing the problem?

The migration support is at http://blogs.esri.com/dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2011/03/09/migration-resources.aspx
0 Kudos
11 Replies
GeorgeFaraj
Occasional Contributor III
What problem was reported and how is the problem machine different from the others?
0 Kudos
ThomasDanninger
New Contributor II
Didn't report a specific problem... It just reported that execution was stopped (right after the splash screen went away and before the main window came up).  Other than being a desktop Dell... the other machines are either HP laptops and desktops there are no obvious differences.  ArcMAP R10 comes up and runs fine on it...  At first I suspected it was a license checking problem; but when I run the old R9.3 version on the same Dell machine it doesn't even display the splash screen just tells me that execution stopped and it's checking for a solution.  I've considered what might be different, memory, etc.  but all appears to be consistent with requirements to run an ArcObject standalone routine?
0 Kudos
GeorgeFaraj
What does the ArcGIS Administrator say when you run it on that machine?
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
could it be 64bit vs 32bit problem?  Seems unlikely, but you might still have windows 7 on 32 bit machines.
0 Kudos
ThomasDanninger
New Contributor II
Yes, it is a 32 bit machine running Windows 7.  According to the ESRI migration doc the target machine should be set as "x86".  Thanks for the thought.
0 Kudos
SumitSharma
New Contributor III
Hello Porter,

Is it an engine application. If it is an engine application then look into this Kbb article. It is a bug in VS 2010.

--http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/37879

Cheers!!

SS
0 Kudos
ThomasDanninger
New Contributor II
Thanks.  No, it's a desktop application and a 32-bit OS on the Dell.

Somehow I missed CCPoston posting.  I'll take a look at what the license Administrator sees... it might be that simple.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
ChaoWang
Esri Contributor
Did the problem resolved? If not, maybe also check the User Account Setting control on Win7..

Thanks,
Chel
0 Kudos
ThomasDanninger
New Contributor II
Not resolved yet... I've about given up on that machine... What specifically are you thinking might be wrong with the account settings...?  Since ArcMAP and ArcCatalogue R10 run fine on the machine I didn't think there'd be any issue?
0 Kudos