Select to view content in your preferred language

v10 DynamicDisplay - extent problems in Window Server?

07-02-2010 06:44 AM
JamesMain
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

Could somebody please try this out and see if they get the same results?

Use the Sample Dynamic Display app from the v10 .NET SDK

\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\ArcObjectsNET\MyDynamicDisplayApp

1.  Start the application and point it at an MXD with a simple map.

2.  Make the window small and note if everything looks right.

3.  Now invoke "Dynamic Display" by pressing the "DD" button on the toolbar.

4.  Now maximize the window - does the Dynamic Display still look right?  Is it confused about the appropriate extents and window size?

We've noticed on a WindowsXP box it works but on two different Windows Servers: (2K3 64Bit and 2K8 64Bit) the Dynamic Display doesn't seem to honor the window size and gets confused about extents.

Looking forward to seeing if anybody has witnessed this problem...

Thanks!

J.D.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
DarrenRempel
Occasional Contributor
I can reproduce the problem on Windows 7 also.
0 Kudos
JamesMain
Emerging Contributor
There you go - I believe this is a real bug.  How do we get the ArcObjects guys to fix this?

J.D.
0 Kudos
DarrenRempel
Occasional Contributor
I've raised a support request and ESRI replied - they are able to reproduce the problem - I guess we have to wait and see - probably wait for a patch.
0 Kudos
JamesMain
Emerging Contributor
Thanks Darren.  Were you given a support number?  I may be able to have this issue escalated.

J.D.
0 Kudos
BhagavathKumar
New Contributor
I was able to reproduce the issue on a windows 7 32 bit m/c also and have submitted a software defect on the issue.

If you may share the incident number, I will be glad to associate you to the same so that you can check the status of the defect on your customer care portal using the following details,

- #NIM059564  Dynamic Display ignores the new extent resulting from a re-sized application window

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

- Kumar (SDK Support)
0 Kudos
DarrenRempel
Occasional Contributor
case 110951
0 Kudos
JamesMain
Emerging Contributor
Thanks Darren and Kumar.  I'm looking forward to the solution.  Please keep this thread apprised.

Best Regards,

J.D.
0 Kudos
DarrenRempel
Occasional Contributor
James,

ESRI is telling me that the problem is because my video card is not good enough.

Run this test on your machine

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI_IF/analysis.aspx

The test is misleading - according to ESRI, even if you card meets the minimum requirements, it still may not be good enough for dynamic display or ArcGlobe.
0 Kudos
RalfGottschalk
Esri Contributor
These types of display issues are always a difficult to get to the bottom of and I apologize you are running into this problem.  Hopefully the following might help you a bit.

Globe and Dynamic Display are not supported through Virtual Machines, Remote Desktop, or Citrix.  This is because these technologies are built on OpenGL and requires direct access to the graphics card and these displays cannot use the hardware directly or virtualizes the hardware, and causes lots of problems with OpenGL.  So, if you are using any of these this might explain where your problem is coming from.

When you have a problem with Dynamic Display that is reproducible on one machine and not another machine, 90% of the time this is a display driver or display card issue.  Sometimes even when a card does meet the system requirements you might still see a problem.   In that case you want to make sure your driver is up to date.

The particular problem you are running into sounds like a synchronization issue between the software and the hardware.  If this machine is a desktop, go to the manufacturer of the display card and download their newest driver.  If this is a laptop, usually the manufacturer of the display card does not provide support for the card anymore and the support comes from the manufacturer of the laptop.  These drivers do not get updates as frequently and may not actually solve the problem.  But, give it a shot and hopefully it fixes it.  If the particular card has a certified ESRI driver, try that.

The following doc details some of this information and it applies to both Dynamic Display and Globe.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/FAQs_for_selecting_graphics_cards/00q8...

If after all this it still does not work.  If you can provide support with the specific specs of the machine and we can reproduce the specific issue in house then we can troubleshoot it and see what can be done to fix it.  There are situations where a little more optimization on our end will fix the problem.  Unfortunately though, if we cannot reproduce the issue in house there is not much we can do to fix it.

I hope updating the driver fixes it for you.
0 Kudos