This control requires an ArcGIS Engine Developer kit license

09-26-2012 01:15 PM
MikeWilliams2
New Contributor
I have a Visual Studio 2010 application that incorporates an ArcObjects Viewer class (DLL) and I am using ClickOnce deployment for the application.  I have on the development/application server a license for ArcInfo and ArcGIS Engine Runtime and ArcGIS Runtime Dev Kit Version 10.0.  The application runs fine on the development server.  The license control is set to use Engine or ArcInfo. 

When a user runs the application on another system that only has ArcInfo licensed, I get the following error:

"This control requires an ArcGIS Engine Developer kit license.
Please contact ESRI to acquire the correct license."

then this error:

"is not authorized for use.  Access the ArcGIS Administrator.
Click on the product folder on the left (e.g. Desktop), then select the Single
Use Product you will be using and click the Authorize Now button.  If you
have already received an authorization file from ESRI and am now ready to finish
the authorization process."

Does anyone know why I get this error and how to fix it?

Thanks
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III
Hi fellow,

when some one answer a similar question that i made, with the following inquiry i felt almost offended...but i have to make it:

I assume that you make the binding, maybe you are making a binding only to Engine:

RuntimeManager.Bind(ProductCode.Engine);
try to bind it to Engine or to Desktop:

RuntimeManager.Bind(ProductCode.EngineOrDesktop);

Another point to review is to check if the client activated the ArcInfo licence....I know...I know...maybe you should chack that...but I have to ask...

ok, when this happens?? at the moment fo running the application?  I'm througth something similar but during the execution: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/68052-Life-cycle-of-an-AxControls-license-missing-in-some-point-of-...

in a previous thread we have been discussing that too: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48507-After-asking-for-Licence-state-Crash-after-2minutes
0 Kudos
MikeWilliams2
New Contributor
No problem. I understand that you need to ask but I have done the binding and licensing you suggested.

I have the following code in my application:
RuntimeManager.Bind(ProductCode.EngineOrDesktop);

and the system was just licensed with ArcInfo Concurrent Use at the time of the previous post.  I did add an Engine Single use as well to see if that made a difference having both licensed but it did not.  Same error.

I am currently working with ESRI and have an incident # to try and solve this.  When we do, I will post the solution.

Thanks for the reply,

Mike
0 Kudos
RimnetSupport
New Contributor
Any news on this issue?  Similar behviour for ArcGIS Standard license within ArcEngine application
0 Kudos
wadsonmakari
New Contributor III
has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am getting the same error on my deployment machine with a valid arc engine runtime license.

why would the application even look for the developer kit license on a deployment machine?

any help greatly appreciated
0 Kudos
KoenVermeer
New Contributor
Any solution for this yet?

I have the same problem. Trying to install an ArcEngine application with Desktop binding on a machine with ArcGIS Desktop and Standard concurrent license.
I also get the "This control requires an ArcGIS Engine developer kit license." message.
0 Kudos
SachinKanaujia
Occasional Contributor III
Can you post screenshot from your ArcGIS Administrator?

ArcGIS Engine and Devkit have separate licenses? I dont know what you are using but it appears you need to license your devkit!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31538[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
KoenVermeer
New Contributor
I have the devkit license on my development machine. Where the application compiles and runs just fine.

The problem appears on non-dev machines(test/acc/prod) where only ArcGIS Desktop licenses are available. According to Esri documentation(and common sense) you don't need a devkit license on a non-dev machine and ArcGIS Engine apps should just work with a ArcGIS Desktop license.
0 Kudos
KoenVermeer
New Contributor
After a lot of research, trial and error and help of Esri NL Support, I managed to fix this.

It seemed that the form's .resx file got corrupted somehow, and that triggered this strange behavior.

I deleted the .resx file. Let VS regenerate it and all was well.
0 Kudos
Gregory_KevinMorales
New Contributor III
Hi...

I just happened to see this thread while looking for a solution to my problem myself...

And I think I have found a solution for this...

not sure if this will work for you guys...

So what i have done before I got the
This control requires an ArcGIS Engine Developer kit license.

Was enabling the Preview Mode for the MapControl and TOC...

And after days of searching... I just thought of Disabling the Preview Mode in both Controls and never seen the error till this day...

BTW the application is running on a Desktop License...
0 Kudos