Setting the description of an IStandaloneTable

Jump to solution
06-24-2013 02:23 AM
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III
From the TOC in ArcMap I can "rightclick -> properties" a standalone table, in the General tab, I can manually set a description.

For a Feature Layer the description can be read and set using the ILayerGeneralProperties.LayerDescription interface and property.

How can I set the description of a Standalone Table using ArcObjects?

I am not able to find a suitable interface to use.

Thanks in advance

Francesco
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterYurkosky1
Occasional Contributor
This functionality is exposed in the UI, but is not available in the ArcObjects SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PeterYurkosky1
Occasional Contributor
This functionality is exposed in the UI, but is not available in the ArcObjects SDK.
0 Kudos
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately not the one i was hoping for, any plans on exposing it?

Fra
0 Kudos
PeterYurkosky1
Occasional Contributor
Sorry, but most new functionality (descriptions were added to standalone tables in 10.0) is not put into ArcObjects by design.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Sorry, but most new functionality (descriptions were added to standalone tables in 10.0) is not put into ArcObjects by design.

That is ominously even worse news than the first.  Is ArcObjects going to be deprecated or downgraded for external users from this point forward?  What is the programming platform game plan going forward?  I certainly need more UI control than I can get through Python or the manual UI.
0 Kudos
PeterYurkosky1
Occasional Contributor
Is ArcObjects going to be deprecated or downgraded for external users from this point forward?  What is the programming platform game plan going forward? 

No, we're not deprecating ArcObjects. We're just creating new ways to program against ArcGIS. See the "Developers" section of Jack Dangermond's Q&A from last year's user conference:

http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?ConferenceID=AC1DD535-1422-2418-7F1722E62B9B416A#448
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
No, we're not deprecating ArcObjects. We're just creating new ways to program against ArcGIS. See the "Developers" section of Jack Dangermond's Q&A from last year's user conference:

http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?ConferenceID=AC1DD535-1422-2418-7F1722E62B9B416A#448

I read the link items.  It does not really explain how a Developer would access the Description of a StandAloneTable, as this thread requested, using any new way to program against ArcGIS.  If it is intentionally excluded from the ArcObject SDK, where else might a Developer discover the new way to program against ArcGIS where he could gain access to control this behavior programatically?  If new functionality will simply not be exposed to the Developer anywhere, the links you provided and your explanation above do not lead me to expect that ESRI would adopt that approach.
0 Kudos