Reconnect to SDE by IWorkspaceFactoryStatus causes errors

10-21-2015 10:57 PM
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, there,

I am investigating an error (could be one message from two possible messages in the log file) in this method - ConnectWorkspace().

1) error message 1: "Unable to cast SdeWorkspaceFactoryClass to IWorkspaceFactoryStatus

OR

2) error message 2: “The server threw an exception. (Exception from ... (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT))”

It works in a windows service every minute. It seems to be failed after SDE compress. SDE compress executes every night. But the method fails every other week.

Questions:

1)  What line in the code below throws error message 2?

1a) After error message 2 each run of that method creates an additional connection to SDE as a result of that a "Maximum Number of Connections ..." error appears after some time (hours).

2)  How you explain the code in the line:

IWorkspaceFactoryStatus pWorkspaceFactoryStatus = new ESRI.ArcGIS.DataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspaceFactoryClass();

I have no idea why it works and doesn't fail at the first time?

3) Could it be some how linked to memory leaks in the service (I see they exist. I use Red Gate ANTS Memory Profiler)?

4) How to reproduce that errors? I cannot reproduce it in a simple winform using classes from that winservice? Is there any difference how I run the method ConnectWorkspace() and how it runs in the service?

Thanks for any ideas.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

private static bool ConnectWorkspace(ref IWorkspace pWorkspace)

{

try

{

if (pWorkspace == null)

{

//**This is when the application starts.

pWorkspace = null;

QAModFun.OpenSDEFromFile(mSDEFlNm, out pWorkspace);

return true;

}

//**This will happen, after compress the connection is lost, hence the connection needs to be pinged, and

//**when the status is 'UP' then opening the available connection, and the reconnecting.

IWorkspaceFactoryStatus pWorkspaceFactoryStatus = new ESRI.ArcGIS.DataSourcesGDB.SdeWorkspaceFactoryClass();

IEnumWorkspaceStatus pEnumWorkspaceStatus = pWorkspaceFactoryStatus.WorkspaceStatus;

IWorkspaceStatus pWorkspaceStatus = pEnumWorkspaceStatus.Next();

bool blnConnected = false;

if (pWorkspaceStatus != null)

{

blnConnected = true;

while (pWorkspaceStatus != null && blnConnected == true)

{

if (pWorkspaceStatus.ConnectionStatus != esriWorkspaceConnectionStatus.esriWCSUp)

blnConnected = false;

pWorkspaceStatus = pEnumWorkspaceStatus.Next();

}

}

if (blnConnected == false)

{

//**Ping the workspace and if 'UP' reconnect.

pWorkspaceStatus = pWorkspaceFactoryStatus.PingWorkspaceStatus(pWorkspaceDef);

if (pWorkspaceStatus.ConnectionStatus == esriWorkspaceConnectionStatus.esriWCSAvailable)

{

pWorkspaceDef = pWorkspaceFactoryStatus.OpenAvailableWorkspace(pWorkspaceStatus);

pWorkspaceDef = null;

QAModFun.OpenSDEFromFile(mSDEFlNm, out pWorkspaceDef);

}

}

return true;

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

WriteToLogFile(ex);

return false;

}

}

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

1a) After error message 2, each run of that method creates an additional connection to SDE as a result of that a "Maximum Number of Connections ..." error appears after some time (hours).

0 Kudos