pan as my graphic tracker symbol moves

08-14-2013 08:45 AM
DarcyHathaway
New Contributor
I need help to make the map pan as my graphic tracker symbol moves based on the GPS feed.
I am using Arc Object 10 with VS.net VB.
0 Kudos
36 Replies
DavidClarke1
New Contributor III
Although I am not giving up, here is part of the response from ESRI support.

It is recommended  that not to use labels when using the GraphicTracker to display moving points.  For performance reasons the Graphics in the GraphicTracker draw in the same phase as labels.  Therefore labels may conflict with the graphics, cause flickering, and slowdown the overall performance of the GraphicTracker.

I don't understand this since the graphics themselves are drawn on top of everything else on the map.  The placement of labels (for map layers) and graphics on the tracker do not position themselves in relation to each other to improve visibility.  The graphics are always drawn exactly where you tell them.

The only other thing I can think of is to use annotation layers instead of standard dynamic map labels.  The problem is that takes time to do and many of my users would not know how to do this.
0 Kudos
DarcyHathaway
New Contributor
That is sad.

I think I am getting closer to getting it to work; I have to field test it this evening to know for sure.
0 Kudos
DarcyHathaway
New Contributor
Although I am not giving up, here is part of the response from ESRI support.

I don't understand this since the graphics themselves are drawn on top of everything else on the map.  The placement of labels (for map layers) and graphics on the tracker do not position themselves in relation to each other to improve visibility.  The graphics are always drawn exactly where you tell them.

The only other thing I can think of is to use annotation layers instead of standard dynamic map labels.  The problem is that takes time to do and many of my users would not know how to do this.

Any word from ESRI?
0 Kudos
DavidClarke1
New Contributor III
I'm still waiting for a reply.
0 Kudos
Santosh_Pavan_KumarNukala
New Contributor III
Can you check your Graphic Location with the ActiveExtent of the map each time there is a change of location.. Check whether the graphic lies inside the IEnvelope of ActiveExtent. Once the graphic is outside the extent, update and refresh the map extent by moving the center to the graphic location. This would minimise the refresh of map to some extent.
0 Kudos
DarcyHathaway
New Contributor
First, I want to say the work around we came up with is not a true solution. There really needs to be a ActiveView.PartialRefresh just for the graphic tracker not all the graphics (lables, points, �?�.) The graphic tracker is useless for direction if you don�??t have road labels. :confused:

So this is our work around.

We first upgraded to 10.1 and then we created the map using an .mxd that included .tpk tiles.

I did not have to add any code to pull in the new layers this was all done by the .mxd.

Then I had to do a ActiveView.Refresh() this causes the graphic tracker to flash but it works. Also, the labels are static but at least they don�??t move.
0 Kudos
DavidClarke1
New Contributor III
You will be happy to know I received my response from ESRI support.

Our recommendation for this case is to not use labels. This is documented here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/#/Using_a_GraphicTracker/000100000...

At the bottom of the page you will notice the added section saying to not use labels.  Who needs labels on a map anyway?
0 Kudos