Migrate VBA directly to Add-Ins or VBA to VB.NET then to Add-Ins

01-19-2012 12:42 PM
RobertHanover
New Contributor
Dear ArcObjects Developers,

I have to migrate several 9.3 applications from VBA to 10.0 Add-Ins.  Is it easier to migrate to VB.NET first and then to Add-Ins?  Or, should I go straight from VBA to Add-Ins?

Thank You,

Robert Hanover
Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Dear ArcObjects Developers,

I have to migrate several 9.3 applications from VBA to 10.0 Add-Ins.  Is it easier to migrate to VB.NET first and then to Add-Ins?  Or, should I go straight from VBA to Add-Ins?

Thank You,

Robert Hanover
Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources

I am going straight to Add-Ins.  I am checking out whether an Add-In button can be used with stamdard Windows forms.  According to ESRI support I am supposed to be able to do that.  In any case, Add-Ins have some limitations, but they simplify deployment, so they are attractive if you have to distribute your tools.
0 Kudos
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
Hello Robert,

The easist option, imo, is VBA to Add-In. You can code the Add-In in VB.NET, C#, or JAVA.

A year ago I put together a tutorial on converting a simple VBA 9.3 ArcMap utility that included a button that launches a form and performs a simple move features operation. It converts the VBA to a C# Add-In, but the process for VB.NET is very similar and with less changes needed to go from VBA to VB.NET.

VBA to Add-In Conversion Tutorial
0 Kudos