Installer that supports both ArcMap 9.1 and 9.3.1

05-05-2010 09:14 AM
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

I've been asked to develop an ArcObjects extension and some ICommands, and have it run under both ArcMap 9.1 and 9.3.1. Most of the code is pretty generic, so I don't see much problems there.

However, I  do have some problems creating the installer. To test this, I've written a small project containing only a simple basecommand and an installer class, and a setup project. If I compile on a 9.2 machine, the installer works on both 9.2 and 9.3.1, but if I compile on a 9.1 machine, it only installs on 9.1, and not on 9.2 or 9.3.1. The error I get is at the end of the install process, and says something like "Error 1001: Could not load all requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions for more information".
I've googled this message, and it is related to one or more assemblies not being found (I suspect it's about ESRI.ArcGIS.Utility, or one of it's dependencies). So apparently there's a subtle difference between 9.1 on one hand, and 9.2/9.3.1 on the other.

Has anyone ever been in this situation, or seen this error message? Can anyone tell me how to retrieve the LoaderExceptions (the error occurs before the installer class is instantiated, so I wouldn't know where to put a try...catch)

My environment is Windows XP, Visual Studio 2005 (or 2008, tried both) with VB.Net.

Regards, Berend
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SJChen
by
New Contributor
Hi, do you got the solution for this quesiont?  My application is installed fine with ArcMap 9.3.1.  But when I upgrade it to ArcGIS 10 and have ArcGIS Addin to create extension/toolbar, the installer has the same error message.

Thank you,
0 Kudos
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II
Unfortunately not.
0 Kudos