IGXDialog with ArcEngine Arc 10

08-12-2013 12:13 PM
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
I have asked before and not gotten a clear answer, so hoping this will be the ticket. I have an ArcEngine 9.3  application the uses       IGXDialog and IExportOperation, it worked fine, but now that I am in 10.1, it doesn't recognize these libraries. According to EDN I shouldn't have been able to use these at for ArcEngine!!! But I did set the licenses to both desktop and Engine when the original application was initiated. I have had some response that I have to bind my license before using any ArcObjects, which is what I do like this   ESRI.ArcGIS.RuntimeManager.Bind(ESRI.ArcGIS.ProductCode.Engine) and  ESRI.ArcGIS.RuntimeManager.Bind(ESRI.ArcGIS.ProductCode.Desktop) , because I understand that if I get Desktop license involved, then I can use these libraries. But I still get errors.

I have been to this site http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//0001000002ns000000
but it didn't help me either. I need some very explicit example on how to do this please.

thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
I can't say for 100% sure what the exact details are as I haven't developed with Engine for quite some time, but generally speaking you cannot develop with Desktop interfaces and classes unless you have a licensed copy of ArcGIS Desktop installed (along with the Desktop SDK).  Along those same lines, your users will also have to have a licensed copy of ArcGIS Desktop installed in order for these Desktop interfaces and classes to be available at runtime (not to mention your application will need to handle the appropriate binding and license checkout).  Since your application is an Engine application, I would suggest you not use anything that is not available as part of the Engine product.  The GxDialog can be replaced with standard Windows file and/or folder browsers.  There are several geoprocessing tools that can replace IExportOperation (such as FeatureClassToFeatureClass).
0 Kudos
DebbieAlger
New Contributor III
thanks for much for replying Neil,

I do in fact have Desktop installed on my machine and all my clients do to. I have the .Net SDK installed also, is there another SDK just for desktop?? I was not aware of this, maybe that is the issue. I can't use the FeatureclasstoFeatureclass, because what I need to do is specifically export the featureclass data as a table and I don't think anything does this except for Iexportoperation. I actually tried to use FeatureDataConverter, which works to some degree but requires fields being added and copied and got really messy. as for using the Windows Dialog, I did try that and it was also messy especially when the user had to select Grids, there is no filter for that. I know this can be done, because some people have said it is doable, but I am missing something integral with the binding of licenses I think.

I thought ESRI was going to encourage Engine not discourage working with it.
0 Kudos
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
I thought ESRI was going to encourage Engine not discourage working with it.

The problem here is that you're not using just the Engine product.  You're using something that doesn't come with Engine.  Unless things have changed, you will not be able to use an Engine runtime license for your application because it will not allow you to use the Desktop components your application requires.  Instead, you will need to bind to the Desktop product and then check out a Desktop license.  Have you tried this without attempting any Engine binding/checkout?
0 Kudos