How to install Add-In to custom location

Jump to solution
05-11-2012 05:48 AM
BarbaraSchneider1
New Contributor III
Hello,

when double-clicking on an Add-In file, it is installed to a default location. However, I would like to put the Add-In on a shared folder. How can I specify the path of the installation location? I expect this to be in the "ESRI ArcGIS Add-In Installation Utility" dialog, but it is not.
Or do I have to specify the installation path somewhere in the Config.esriaddinx file?

Thanks a lot for answers in advance,
Barbara
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdgarBejarano
Occasional Contributor
Hi Barbara,

When you specify the path to a shared folder for add-ins (e.g. a folder in a network drive), you are telling ArcMap that everytime it launches, it should involve the add-ins in that folder.  If tomorrow a given add-in is no longer in that shared folder because the add-in file was removed from that shared folder, ArcMap will no longer involve that add-in which is comparable to uninstalling it.

Regarding:
"but I don't know how to install my Add-In to this specified location"

I am not sure you would install any add-in in a shared folder.  Rather, you copy and paste the .esriAddin file that was compiled in the shared folder.  As long as a given add-in is in a shared folder specific in the Add-In Manager, that Add-In will be "installed".  Meanwhile, it is up to any ArcMap computer user to add or remove the shared folder path in the Options tab of the Add-In Manager dialog if they are interested in the Add-In(s) in that shared folder. 

If I as a developer want to share multiple add-ins with my organization, I will place all of my add-in files in a shared network folder.  Then, I just make sure the interested computers/users have added the path to the "shared folder".  I can add, remove, and even modify the add-ins in that shared folder and such changes will be reflected for everyone using my shared folder add-ins.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BarbaraSchneider1
New Contributor III
To be more clear:
- I can specify an Add-In shared folder in the Add-In Manager
- but I don't know how to install my Add-In to this specified location
0 Kudos
EdgarBejarano
Occasional Contributor
Hi Barbara,

When you specify the path to a shared folder for add-ins (e.g. a folder in a network drive), you are telling ArcMap that everytime it launches, it should involve the add-ins in that folder.  If tomorrow a given add-in is no longer in that shared folder because the add-in file was removed from that shared folder, ArcMap will no longer involve that add-in which is comparable to uninstalling it.

Regarding:
"but I don't know how to install my Add-In to this specified location"

I am not sure you would install any add-in in a shared folder.  Rather, you copy and paste the .esriAddin file that was compiled in the shared folder.  As long as a given add-in is in a shared folder specific in the Add-In Manager, that Add-In will be "installed".  Meanwhile, it is up to any ArcMap computer user to add or remove the shared folder path in the Options tab of the Add-In Manager dialog if they are interested in the Add-In(s) in that shared folder. 

If I as a developer want to share multiple add-ins with my organization, I will place all of my add-in files in a shared network folder.  Then, I just make sure the interested computers/users have added the path to the "shared folder".  I can add, remove, and even modify the add-ins in that shared folder and such changes will be reflected for everyone using my shared folder add-ins.
0 Kudos
BarbaraSchneider1
New Contributor III
Hi Edgar,

thanks for your reply! I have now understood the principle.

Barbara
0 Kudos