How to export all the information on the Layer Properties Symbology tab of ArcMap?

Jump to solution
09-10-2015 09:05 AM
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way in arc objects to get at all the information that is available on the Layer Properties Symbology tab of ArcMap?  I'm only interested in feature layers, but I do need all the information that the user can see and control through the Symbology tab.  This is just for documentation so I don't need to change anything, I just need to put it into a human readable format.  I'm using arc gis 10.2.1.  I've tried python and arcpy but there's quite a few symbology items that aren't exposed to python (as far as I know).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

To my knowledge there is no tool or interface that can write out those properties. A FeatureLayer could be a simple renderer, a unique symbol renderer or some complex representation renderer and all the other types in between.

So this is why I think no object exists. You are going to have to write this and cover every potential outcome.

The ILayerFile could be considered the nearest thing to a non-readable "export".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

To my knowledge there is no tool or interface that can write out those properties. A FeatureLayer could be a simple renderer, a unique symbol renderer or some complex representation renderer and all the other types in between.

So this is why I think no object exists. You are going to have to write this and cover every potential outcome.

The ILayerFile could be considered the nearest thing to a non-readable "export".

0 Kudos