Help with upgrade vb6 application from ArcGIS 9.3 to ArcGIS 10

08-11-2010 10:40 AM
YanWang
New Contributor
We have this pretty extensive vb6 windows application which uses ArcObjects to deal with SDE data. It also uses Mapcontrol.ocx and PageLayoutControl.ocx to display spatial data. Now we are planning to upgrade from 9.3 to 10 and we dont have time to convert this vb6 app to .NET right now so just want to make it work with 10 first then doing the conversion.

I have a test machine which has ArcGIS 10 loaded with valid ArcInfo license. When I opened up the vb6 project of course it failed to load the 2 ocx controls. I tried to use the add components dialog to add the MapControl.ocx from C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Bin directory but it failed to load, saying "Error in loading DLL". If I try to use ESRI Controls 10.0 it says I dont have ArcGIS Engine license which I dont have and it's not required in 9.3.

Has anyone had similar issue? We really dont time to rewrite the whole in .NET before the upgrade.
Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthewBuchanan
New Contributor III
VB6 is not supported in ArcGIS 10.
0 Kudos
YanWang
New Contributor
VB6 is not supported in ArcGIS 10.

I know but we simply dont have the time to convert this big app before upgrade to 10. The plan is to make it work first.

Desperatly need help with the above issue.
0 Kudos
vincentLahaye
New Contributor II
Hi,

you should contact your ESRI support center on it.  It will be faster and if you get an answer, maybe post the solution here to help for other people with same problem.

sorry

Vincent
0 Kudos
MatthewBuchanan
New Contributor III
I thought you can't run tools built in VB6 in ArcGIS 10 at all. This is what I understand so i am re-writing my application from VB6 to VB.NET in Visual Studio 2005. I have to have this done before our company can upgrade so everyone is waiting on me.
0 Kudos
DarrenTuckett
New Contributor
I've been told by ESRI that the mapcontrol is no longer available in 10 unless you have an arcengine developer licence. I'm waiting to find out if I'll also need an engine runtime licence to run the several apps I've written, which use the mapcontrol and work fine in ArcView 9.3.1, to work in ArcView 10.
0 Kudos
YanWang
New Contributor
Thank you all for replying and you are all correct, unfortunately. We got in touch with esri as well and received the same answer. The only good news is apparently you can run ArcGIS Engine apps using ArcInfo license which we havent tried out yet. We do have an ArcGIS Engine Dev license for something else but because of the size of the current app obviously we are not going to upgrade to ArcGIS 10 any time soon.
0 Kudos