Graphic doesn't print to some printers and when it does, has the wrong symbology

07-17-2014 09:55 AM
TereseRowekamp
New Contributor III

I'm using the ExportActiveView sample code to send a layout to a user-selected printer. The dataframe includes a cross-hatched graphic that is added by code.

I have two issues:

1. When I print to the printer I have here, the graphic shows up on the printed paper. When my user at another office does the same with his printer, the graphic doesn't print at all.

2. On my printed copy (and a pdf-export from code as well), the graphic shows up as a gray rectangle when on the screen it appears as a cross-hatched rectangle with a tranparent background.

If I manually print or export directly from ArcMap, the graphic has the right symbology.

I've seen similar questions on these forums but finding them again is not the easiest thing to do these days...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
seria
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

I downloaded the Export ActiveView sample from the following location:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcobjects-net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//000100000026000000

It is meant for 10.0.

Because I am using 10.3, I tweaked it a little to make it work for 10.3. This I did by making some changes to the *.csproj file. I changed the target version to 10.3, and added "11"  to this line of XML code:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\ESRI\ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.11.targets" />

I was able to compile this Add-in successfully, and add it to ArcMap as an Add-in Button. On clicking the button, I get a message box saying that the ActiveView has been successfully exported to my "My Documents" folder as a JPEG image. When I open the image using my Microsoft Image Viewer, the image is consistent with what I exported. When I send the image to a printer, the print out symbology is consistent with the symbology in the ActiveView.

Thus, I was unable to reproduce your issue at ArcGIS version 10.3.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Could it have anything to do with the drivers that you and the other user are using when making a print?  Maybe they are different and that could be the cause of this issue.

0 Kudos