Esri Desktop Application crashes when trying to run by double click on icon in Linux

07-14-2013 10:33 PM
GauravKumar3
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I am getting a problem when i am trying to run esri desktop application from double click on the icon created on linux, the application runs for a while and crashes showing core dump issue on the terminal window. Although the same application runs fine when i run it using terminal command or with shell script of the application.

here is the command i used to run the application directly on the terminal:

$ java -jar -Xss10m /home/user/Desktop/sample.jar

here is the command i used to run the application using shell script. the script file contains the above command.

$ ./runSample.sh

and here is the output when i try to run the application using double click on icon.

/home/gisuser/arcgis/engine10.1/
file:/home/gisuser/Desktop/ADAssetwidTrack05072013.jar!/adaps.png
/home/gisuser/Desktop/runADAsset.sh: line 4:  4738 Aborted                 (core dumped) java -jar -Xss5m /home/gisuser/Desktop/sample.jar

Please Help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SachinKanaujia
Occasional Contributor III
Can you provide some information about what exactly is the code doing? Is your icon just a shortcut to the script. From the command line you are using a different stack size than the one which crashed.

Try defining your JVM parameters like -Xss -Xmx and -Xms explicitly while launching.

Alternatively, use something like a jconsole to see if there is a memory leak in your application.

Hi all,

I am getting a problem when i am trying to run esri desktop application from double click on the icon created on linux, the application runs for a while and crashes showing core dump issue on the terminal window. Although the same application runs fine when i run it using terminal command or with shell script of the application.

here is the command i used to run the application directly on the terminal:

$ java -jar -Xss10m /home/user/Desktop/sample.jar

here is the command i used to run the application using shell script. the script file contains the above command.

$ ./runSample.sh

and here is the output when i try to run the application using double click on icon.

/home/gisuser/arcgis/engine10.1/
file:/home/gisuser/Desktop/ADAssetwidTrack05072013.jar!/adaps.png
/home/gisuser/Desktop/runADAsset.sh: line 4:  4738 Aborted                 (core dumped) java -jar -Xss5m /home/gisuser/Desktop/sample.jar

Please Help.
0 Kudos
GauravKumar3
New Contributor II
Hi sachin,

sure i am using a sample globe application containing globebean, toolbarbean and TOCbean, provided by ESRI, and on which i had do some customization like:
1.opening a Elevation layer in .dted1 format, and
2. Right click for zoom to layer on the specific layer which was loaded on the toolbar bean.

i had corrected the -XSS parameter and also included the -Xmx and -Xms parameters while launching but the result is same.

checked with jconsole but when i try to run jconsole for memory leak the application with the pid the application crashes.

yes my icon is just a shortcut of the script, i had also created the launcher for the same application and select the "run in terminal" as type and in both the case i am facing same problem.

when i run the same in the terminal window the application runs fine and smoothly.
The problem what is understood before was the path variable ARCGISENGINE is not available in the terminal where i was trying to run the application, i had solved that after that my sample application runs for a while and after some clicks say about 10 clicks on the application, it will shows the same error.

please help.

Can you provide some information about what exactly is the code doing? Is your icon just a shortcut to the script. From the command line you are using a different stack size than the one which crashed.

Try defining your JVM parameters like -Xss -Xmx and -Xms explicitly while launching.

Alternatively, use something like a jconsole to see if there is a memory leak in your application.
0 Kudos
SachinKanaujia
Occasional Contributor III
Thats a bit strange. All I can suggest you is to print some environment variables from within your script (running as shortcut) which could make the difference, like JAVA_HOME, PATH, ARCGIS related path.

Also there is a subtle difference in implementation of tools in 10.1 as compared to previous versions but it should have consistently failed either way. Try the following

1) Set all the required paths

2) source init_java.sh or init_java.csh as the shell you are using before launching your java program.

Can you tell me how you are doing any of the tools implementation??
0 Kudos
GauravKumar3
New Contributor II
you can see the path of ARCENGINEHOME in the first post i used echo command to display all the paths.

as for init_java.sh file it was written in esri website to copy and paste the init_java.sh and init_engine.sh file form arcgis engine installation directory to "/etc/profile.d/" which i had already done.

if there might be any difference in the implementation then how come my application will run perfectly fine when i try to run it from the command prompt and it crashes when i try to run by double-click on it.

Tell me is there any issue with the JVM getting low memory and how can i increase the same for my application.
i had already tested -Xms and -Xmx parameters but none works for me.

Thanks in advance.

Thats a bit strange. All I can suggest you is to print some environment variables from within your script (running as shortcut) which could make the difference, like JAVA_HOME, PATH, ARCGIS related path.

Also there is a subtle difference in implementation of tools in 10.1 as compared to previous versions but it should have consistently failed either way. Try the following

1) Set all the required paths

2) source init_java.sh or init_java.csh as the shell you are using before launching your java program.

Can you tell me how you are doing any of the tools implementation??
0 Kudos