ArcMap 10.1 crashes on VBA completion after installing Service Pack 1

Jump to solution
01-18-2013 05:25 AM
ErnieSalazar
New Contributor III
Hi Everyone.

I know getting an answer to this one is probably a long shot at best but I figured i would ask.  We are finally getting around to upgrading to 10.1 now that SP1 is out.  But it seems with SP1, something is causing ArcMap to crash completely after our custom VBA completes.

In is not on every computer and it can come and go.  But we are pretty certain that removing SP1 fixes it when a computer does have the problem.  Debugging the VBA seems to indicate that the problem occurs right when the code completes and focus is given back to ArcMap.  Happens on both 32 and 64 bit os with different hardware specs.

We are looking to migrate our tools to .net but that is going to be a little while so we need to have these tools continue to work for a little while.

Anyone else see something similar?  Below is one of the few times we were able to get a crash report.

Thanks
Ernie

Faulting application name: ArcMap.exe, version: 10.1.1.3143, time stamp: 0x5058f74e Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec49b8f Exception code: 0xc0000374 Fault offset: 0x000ce6c3 Faulting process id: 0xd0c Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf4c13555ce57 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\bin\ArcMap.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll Report Id: b050bd23-60b4-11e2-b5ac-002219ed304c
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErnieSalazar
New Contributor III
Think I might know what the problem.  Seems to be something with IDataStatistics:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/70997-ICursor-issue-in-10.1-SP-1
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/71895-Issues-with-ArcObjects-and-ArcGIS-10.1-SP1-IDataStatistics

Their symptoms match mine exactly.  Hopefully ESRI issues a Hot Fix soon.

Ernie

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DaleBridgford
New Contributor III
Mr. Salazar,

Your issue sounds like mine, with the exception of we don't have SP1 installed yet.  My routine will run successfully, but it either won't return ArcMap in a fully functional state or it will crash.

I hope this can be figured out.  In my case, it is highly possible that I have done things that aren't really acceptable in code and now it is coming back to bite me.

Have a good weekend.

Dale
0 Kudos
ErnieSalazar
New Contributor III
Thanks for the response Dale.  I am not expecting miracles with my situation being the ESRI is getting away from VBA.  Yours is at least .net so you might get something.

Good luck.

Ernie
0 Kudos
DaleBridgford
New Contributor III
Ernie,

I suspect that some of my issues stemmed from the .mxd I was using and others were due to my code.  I hashed it out and got it to work.  I did the migration away from VBA about two years ago with the release of 10.  VB.Net seems to need everything fully defined, but I got the benefit of being able to create the AddIn, which makes distribution a whole lot easier.  As budget is a perpetual issue, I use the (still free) Visual Studio Express VB, version 2010 (prior 2008 and 2005) since they installed 10.1 here.  I think I linked to my other post which seemed to be related.

Thanks,

Dale
0 Kudos
ErnieSalazar
New Contributor III
Think I might know what the problem.  Seems to be something with IDataStatistics:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/70997-ICursor-issue-in-10.1-SP-1
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/71895-Issues-with-ArcObjects-and-ArcGIS-10.1-SP1-IDataStatistics

Their symptoms match mine exactly.  Hopefully ESRI issues a Hot Fix soon.

Ernie
0 Kudos
JamalMwini
New Contributor
bridgfod;265735 wrote:
Ernie,

I suspect that some of my issues stemmed from the .mxd I was using and others were due to my code.  I hashed it out and got it to work.  I did the migration away from VBA about two years ago with the release of 10.  VB.Net seems to need everything fully defined, but I got the benefit of being able to create the AddIn, which makes distribution a whole lot easier.  As budget is a perpetual issue, I use the (still free) Visual Studio Express VB, version 2010 (prior 2008 and 2005) since they installed 10.1 here.  I think I linked to my other post which seemed to be related.

Thanks,
Dear Ernie,

I have had the same problem but up to date have not had the answer to it.
Could someone please tell me what to do?

Thanks, Murathi.
0 Kudos
ErnieSalazar
New Contributor III
Murathi, who's issue are you referring to?  Dales or mine's?  If it is mine, in one of the two links I posted there is talk about a workout.  Basically, they created code for their own version of the DataStatistics tool.

Ernie
0 Kudos
JenniferHorsman
New Contributor
Hi. I just installed SP 1 and now an add-in tool I have that was written with VB .net is causing ArcMap to crash when I use it. I took the tool out, removed the link to the folder where it is located and restarted ArcMap with a fresh mxd, added data to it and then loaded my add-in again. I was able to use the tool twice, then I started an edit session, tried to use the tool again and it crashed ArcMap. When I opened that mxd again and tried to use the tool, it crashed ArcMap immediately. This was working fine before I installed SP1, so I think I am going to remove it. Too bad - because SP1 did fix another annoying, but less so, issue I was having with having to uncheck "Stretch topology proportionately when moving a topology element" every time I open ArcMap and want to start editing topology.

Addendum: I checked the code for the add-in I am using, which I did not write, and it uses IDataStatistics. Based on Ernie's comments above, this is likely the cause of the problem I am having.
0 Kudos
ErnieSalazar
New Contributor III
Jennifer, there is another thread on the forum where they posted a replacement for idatastatistics which you could probably implement pretty easily.  My code in VBA so I just rewrote it from scratch but since you are using .net you might find it useful.

Ernie
0 Kudos