I have a plugin install which I developed in .NET for ArcGIS 9.3.1 which works fine on XP machines and ArcGIS 10. I now have one client having issues installing the plugin on a Windows 7 64bit machine which has ArcGIS 10 on it. The installation error message they are receiving is attached. The client has installed .NET framework 3.5 separately which didn't solve the issue.
Does anyone out there know of common issues when trying to install an ArcGIS 9.3.1 .NET plugin on Win 7(64) machines? I don't have access to ArcGIS 10 and limited access to Window 7 (64) machines so my experience in this environment is limited. Any sugestions on specific info I should get from the client would also be handy?
Try to change platform target from "AnyCPU" to "x86" (see screenshot).
If you use AnyCPU, the machine will try to use 64 bit assemblies. But Esri assemblies are 32 bit. This is why the installer cannot find the referenced assemblies from your plugin. You have to constrain your .NET plugin to 32 bit by setting platform target to x86.
This issue has taken much time for me to resolve when installing my own plugin on a customers machine some months ago...
I have a plugin install which I developed in .NET for ArcGIS 9.3.1 which works fine on XP machines and ArcGIS 10. \
Are you sure about that? ArcGIS 10 is not compatible with previous versions as there are no policy assemblies for the ArcObjects libraries to redirect your application to the newer assemblies. Applications developed under previous versions must be recompiled. Also, the way components are registered in the ESRI component categories has also changed. Prior to migrating our applications to ArcGIS 10 we tested them just to see if they would run. Not a single one of them would even install.
Thanks for the replies Stefan and Neil. I was in the field for the week so appologies for the delayed reply.
Stefan, I'm giving your solution a go right now and will have to wait for feed back from the client. Will post the result.
Neil, as I haven't dealt with Arc10 I gave no guarantees to the clients who understood the situtation. It seems the plugin has been working fine for them in Arc10 on XP (maybe even Win7 32bit) machines. Going with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' line I've left it at that. The only problem that has come back to me is this installation issue on Win7 64.