Addins suddenly stoped working, VS 2008, Wiindows 7 64 bit, ArcMap 10.0

10-03-2013 07:49 AM
JohnBarnes
New Contributor
I have some addins that I have written for ArcGIS Desktop 10.0, Visual Studio 2008 vb.net, Windows 7 64 bit.  They have been completed for months and have worked flawlessly for months.

Recently I have started to get the dreaded, "ArcGIS has encountered a serious application error...." dialog when trying to use an addin and then ArcMap shuts down.  It is happening with about half of my addins.

After ArcMap shuts down I am left with the following dialog:

http://www.mactriathlon.com/error.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28010[/ATTACH]

Has anyone had this problem?  Any thoughts?

John
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
This is an error way down in the MFC windows form component and is probably the last error in a long chain that's being reported.
If the add-in has been working for a while then something in the system could be corrupt by either a disk error or another component installation. Try running your add-in via visual studio (debug) and look at the call stack to see where the errors start happening.
0 Kudos
JohnBarnes
New Contributor
I have done that and nothing is returned in the "Call Stack" dialog, or the "Breakpoints", "Object Test Bench", "Command Window" or "Output" dialog.

The "Immediate Window" returns the following:  "A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in ViewEase.dll"

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
JohnBarnes
New Contributor
I have done that and nothing is returned in the "Call Stack" dialog, or the "Breakpoints", "Object Test Bench", "Command Window" or "Output" dialog.

The "Immediate Window" returns the following:  "A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in ViewEase.dll"

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'd start by putting breakpoints in your code where you think the crash is occurring, like after clicking a button or a mouseclick then walk through the code with 'step into' or 'step over' in visual studio. The call stack dialog will show you the module info while you'll be able to see what line its crashing on. Hopefully its consistent and the call stack can show useful information besides '[external code]'. I apologize if these seem like basic steps but im not sure of your skill level.
You can also try a different machine or different data if possible. If you can rule out your add-in code or arcgis changes (new extensions or other add-ins that may be running) the you may be looking at external factors that can be difficult to track down.
0 Kudos