Using Definition Query on a table to be used for Geocoder

Jump to solution
10-08-2021 11:37 AM
LorindaGilbert
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm looking to see if using a feature class with both expired and current addresses (and streets) can be used with a definition query for a geocoder.  We have one data consumer group that requires both sets of addresses to be available, but another data consumer group that only requires the current addresses.  Our solution right now is to have two feature classes.  The one group is pushing hard to have one feature class.  I have on older versions tested this scenario of having both sets of data on the same feature class and using a def query but the geocoder seems to be an all or nothing type of thing.  Or is this something that ArcPro can handle?  We are slowly migrating to ArcPro.

Thanks,

Lorinda

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Lorinda:

The Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro allows you to build locators based on definition queries, selected features, use feature services as the reference data. This is not supported by the Create Address Locator tool in ArcMap or Pro 2.6 and earlier. Here is a basic overview of creating a locator with the tool https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/help/data/geocoding/create-a-locator.htm. We've added 3 new tutorials for building locators with the Create Locator tool, which will be available once Pro 2.9 is live.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you saying that the geooder ignores a definition query in ArcMap as well as in Pro?

0 Kudos
LorindaGilbert

Actually, I'm trying to figure out if it still ignores the definition query in the latest version of ArcMap and/or in ArcPro.  I'm still learning ArcPro and haven't had an opportunity to learn that as of yet.  I've just recently installed 10.8.1 and also have not had an opportunity to test it.

Too many other projects on the plate right now.  Mainly learning attribute rules in ArcPro for migration of data from one database method to another.  (Moving stored procedures in Oracle to Attribute Rules in SQL Server SDE).

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Lorinda:

The Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro allows you to build locators based on definition queries, selected features, use feature services as the reference data. This is not supported by the Create Address Locator tool in ArcMap or Pro 2.6 and earlier. Here is a basic overview of creating a locator with the tool https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/help/data/geocoding/create-a-locator.htm. We've added 3 new tutorials for building locators with the Create Locator tool, which will be available once Pro 2.9 is live.

0 Kudos
LorindaGilbert

Cool!  I'm glad to hear that the def query is being used to the fullest extent.  I guess the next question would be if it can be used as a geocoding service that is published.  I'm guessing that it can, which will work for two of our data consumption users, but not the other - however, they are on an older version of ArcGIS Server and we have to write the data to their SDE anyway, so FME to to the rescue!  I will definitely check out the locators in ArcPro (using 2.8.x right now)!

And since we are moving our addresses to ArcPro with Attribute Rules, we will have to be using ArcPro in the future for this layer.

Thanks,

Lorinda

0 Kudos
ShaundaDevenport
New Contributor II

Were you able to accomplish this? I am trying to build a locator with a definition query and do not see any where to apply the definition query to the table in the locator properties.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@ShaundaDevenport The definition query is done at the layer level in the layer properties of the reference data used to build the locator. It may be beneficial to do this in a model so that you can keep track of the query used when building the locator.

1. Create the definition query in the layer properties

2. Create the locator with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro. The definition query details are not part of the locator properties.

-Shana

0 Kudos
ShaundaDevenport
New Contributor II

Thanks Shana!

Got it working. I wasn't use the create locator with map layers, only our enterprise SDE feature classes.  But now that I've brought the feature classes into the map and applied the query it works. 

I'm assuming the rebuild address locator tool doesn't maintain the definition query?

0 Kudos