Raster dataset into SQL Server 2017 Enterprise Geodatabase

01-25-2019 02:45 AM
Pieterdu_Plooy2
New Contributor

Hi guys

I am trying to import a raster dataset into an SQL Server 2017 enterprise geodatabase. (Arc 10.6.1)

I am getting errors as can be seen in the attached file.

Any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Check if this patch helps, if you are using 10.6.1:

ArcGIS (Desktop, Server) 10.6.1 Raster Patch 

Pieterdu_Plooy2
New Contributor

Hi Asrujit SenGupta

This does not work.  I have installed this patch twice, but still no go

0 Kudos
Pieterdu_Plooy2
New Contributor

Hi guys

I need to bump this, this is urgent that I get a satisfactory response. (Sorry)

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

A few comments/questions:

1. The few  items in the results that stand out are
    • the source in the Executing statement is a TIF 
    • the destination in the Executing statement is pointing to only to the sde connection string
    • the "No raster store is configurated" warning
    • it looks more like you need to create a create a raster dataset in your SDE first then add the raster image(s) see Creating raster datasets in a geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 
  2. Also check what level of user credentials are you using to connect to the SDE database, do you have the proper permissions especially if you are not also the DBO
  3. Does this work when importing into a local file geodatabase, as a test?

As you noted this is urgent, have you put a support ticket in with ESRI?

0 Kudos
Pieterdu_Plooy2
New Contributor

Lance

I can import a feature dataset into the sane geodatabase.  I can say that with testing Postgres and Oracle, they also exhibit the same problem.

Importing into a FGDB works.  If I export the raster from the FGDB to the Enterprise Geodatabase, that also works

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I was able to locate the file you are trying to use at QGIS-Training-Data/exercise_data/raster at master · qgis/QGIS-Training-Data · GitHub.  I was also able to import this to a SDE database running on SQL Server 2017 using the following method as a workaround since Raster to Geodatabase is not working for you.  

1) from ArcCatalog, right click on the SDE database Connection and select New>Raster Dataset

2) in the Create Raster Dataset dialog

• input the Raster Dataset Name - I used "test"
  • set the Number of Bands - 4 as this matches the original image
  • press OK and wait for the blank Raster Dataset to be created

3) Again in ArcGIS Catalog, right click on the new Raster Dataset you just created and select Load>Load Data

4) in the Load data dialog

• add the raster files you need
  • click OK

This will create a mosaic Raster Dataset for you on your SDE database

Pieterdu_Plooy2
New Contributor

Lance

Thank you for the response.

In previous versions of Arc I could just import that raster dataset as is without any problems.  I did not have to do all the steps you did.

I tested this on 10.6.1 a while back, and if you have an Enterprise GDB, you can use Desktop to import the raster dataset as is, without doing your steps (Have to check this though, as I have reverted to 10.5.1)  The last time I checked I was also pretty sure you also could not create mosaic datasets as well. I will install 10.6.1 later and check.

It just feels to me that there was a functionality change to 10.6.1...

So in short, I have just been trying to import a raster dataset (tiff file) into an Enterprise Geodatabase just like in previous versions.  (Raster to Geodatabase tool) (Not raster catalog)

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

You may want to revisit Asrujit SenGupta's‌ earlier post pertaining to the 10.6.1 Raster Patch.  I was setting up a new virtual ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 this morning and ran the Raster_to_Geodatabase tool before installing the 10.6.1 Raster Patch.  I received the same errors you have reported with the files from the QGIS Training Data.  After running the 10.6.1 Raster Patch the Raster to Geodatabase tool ran without issue using the same files.

Make sure you do not have any apps open when running the Patch or better yet run the Patch immediately after a restart as an Administrator.

Check if this patch helps, if you are using 10.6.1:

ArcGIS (Desktop, Server) 10.6.1 Raster Patch 

Pieterdu_Plooy2
New Contributor

Lance

I did a clean install of 10.6.1, and installed the relevant patches.  It is still not working

0 Kudos