Questions about working with joins and tables in modelbuilder

Jump to solution
12-14-2020 07:29 PM
Labels (2)
GordMcKenzie
New Contributor

ArcGIS version 10.8

This is my first question.  I hope I can ask it clearly.

I have created a model.  The user chooses a point shapefile and a line input geodatabase dataset.  The points are snapped to the lines and then some cleanup is done.  I use in_memory and the scratchGDB to hold the intermediate files and result ends up in the defaultGDB file.  That all works well. 

What I want to do after that is I want to do some attribute manipulation and save the results into a GDB file that has a table prepared to receive the results.  I need to get attribute information form a third table so I tried the Join command.  In modelbulder I cannot select anything in the Join Dialog for the "Layer Name or Table View" setting.  This seems to be because the inputs are user selected parameters so the model doesn't know anything about the file until after the model is running.  I can do the Join outside the model by adding data to the map and creating the join there so I know I ultimately have the right data etc.

Is this possible in a model?  Am I approaching this incorrectly?  I want to be able to do this for various input files so hard coding inputs is not an option.

Thanks for any ideas and sorry if the message isn't quite clear.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III

Difficult to say without seeing your model. Maybe there is a "make feature layer" missing infront of the join?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III

Difficult to say without seeing your model. Maybe there is a "make feature layer" missing infront of the join?

0 Kudos
GordMcKenzie
New Contributor

This was basically what I needed to do.  I had to add some other steps to get my end result but create a feature layer got me moving.  Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Add the join field as a parameter also

0 Kudos