Model Builder: Working w/ Utilities data and calculating the predefined "Estimated Service Life" which is not contained within the Attribute Table.

11-21-2021 05:34 PM
Labels (2)
jhomme981
New Contributor II

Hi All, I'm working in Model Builder with ArcMap 10.6. My data is all Utilities and I am working with a new schema that has new fields, renamed fields, etc., but the concern for me now being,  the "missing/non-existent" fields that I need which would include the Estimated Service Life value of the asset. The Assets already have a predefined ESL, but I will need to find the actual Percent of Service Life Remaining later on. As I stated in the beginning, these are for ALL Utilities, so I'm trying to have one tool that can be run on many assets, and allow the user to select which ESL is necessary for their asset of interest. I was thinking this could be done with Parameters and having a dropdown to select the applicable value.

To begin, I ran the Add New Fields tool to account for each of the assets with the preassigned ESL. Hence, I created 6 ESL fields, since the possible values range are from 30 - 55 years ESL which are in 5 year increments. I then used Calculate fields tool and wrote in the optional expression box,  a value for where they could fall. I've populated each field in the expression box of its value, i.e., [Esl30_2021] = 30, another 35, and then 40, then 45 , 50, and 55. As stated earlier, these are the 6 ESL fields and one additional for the user selection.  I was thinking the extra field should be added to capture whichever ESL value was selected (sorta as a default, I am calling, [UciPswEslAsset2021] field to use in the later calculations for remaining service life. This is where I'm hitting a block. I am unable to figure out how to keep this as a simple selection for the user to select in a dropdown which ESL is applicable for their asset. Is there a way to use my New fields as a parameter for selecting and then running the tool? Do I need to look at another angle for resolve? Please, if there are any other suggestions, I'm all ears. PS, my Python knowledge is extremely limited. Many Thanks!!!

The 7 fields below I added and then using calculate fields for each of the possible values for choosing:

jhomme981_0-1637545080425.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

Where will your users be interfacing with this data? 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
jhomme981
New Contributor II

Hi! The users will be applying their own data within ArcMap 10x Model builder on an internal network. I hope this is what you're referring to. thx!

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I would set up a domain for each field, then in the  model add parameters so the user could choose from the list.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
jhomme981
New Contributor II

Copy that & sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a try...assuming my domain knowledge, etc. will be sufficient 😉

Thank you for your reply and suggestions!

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome!  Let me know if you need any guidance setting it up.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
jhomme981
New Contributor II

Any chance of recommending any applicable videos/material on domains? I see a ton but if there's anything you recommend. Thank you either way!

0 Kudos