Is Arcmap Still supported on PC? It won't load

11-22-2020 04:02 AM
DaoudHimmo
New Contributor II

Good morning, I had spent three hours attempting to install reinstall the software with no luck of being able to get into it. On the plus side, I am half way to getting a degree in computer science as a result:)

I am using Window 10 with the latest update along with Arc GIS Desktop 10.7.1 I have installed the .net packages. When I go to open the software, the pop up comes ask mentioning it is checking the license, then it goes to map document and dies from there and never opens... I have uninstalled, and reinstalled. Arc Administrator says the license is valid until next year. I have gone to uninstall and repair. I have also ran as administrator. 

Are there any computer geniuses that know how to open the software for use?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

By reinstall... do you mean on a different computer?

/transferring-licenses-from-one-license-manager-to-another 

How To: Transfer an ArcGIS Desktop license to a different machine (esri.com)

You may have to contact the administrator of your licenses at your school (first contact would be your course or program supervisor)

... sort of retired...
DaoudHimmo
New Contributor II

Reinstall on the same machine. As in to try and get the software to open. I uninstalled, and then installed again hoping for a different result. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When ArcMap crashes like that there may be issues.

One thing to try is Resetting your ArcGIS application profile 

Also see Fixing ArcMap crashes  

If that doesn't work I would request technical support from Esri (or through your local channels if you don't have right-to-call). They can usually get you going pretty quickly.

DaoudHimmo
New Contributor II

I have tried those steps, none have fixed the problem. What do you mean by local channels?

The only thing that seems to get it to open is the arcmap.exe /log run from command prompt. Any ideas what might be causing that?

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would look at the log file that arcmap.exe /log opened.

What I mean by local channels is many organizations don't allow you to call Esri support directly, you need to find the designated individuals that are allowed to call them. If you bought your license directly from Esri, you can contact them at support.esri.com yourself. Getting Esri support involved is the next step if the many fixes I suggested do not work.

0 Kudos