How to use classified symbolization on DEM Raster layer?

02-23-2021 09:24 AM
Savannah
New Contributor II

I have a raster file of a DEM layer (file is in .ecw format). I would like to symbolize the layer with elevations so that viewers know which color means which elevation. However, I'm not familiar with how to do it. In layer properties, my only symbology options are "Vector Field", "Stretched", and "RGB Composite". When I search online, I'm supposed to have a classified option. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I've not dealt with that file format before unfortunately, I'd guess it may not be able to read the statistics probably from that format, or it's just a limitation of that filetype and ArcGIS, but again that's just a guess.

If it was me I might see if I can export it to .tif or similar (maybe try a subset of the data if large, i.e. zoom to a small extent, right click - > export -> extent of dataframe and specify .tif in filename) and then see if the classified renderer appears.

0 Kudos
Savannah
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I've tried exporting it/converting it into several different formats without luck.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

That's very strange.  Not seen this as an issue before but maybe no harm in running Calculate Statistics—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop or exporting into an FGDB as an FGDB raster and retrying.

Could you provide a screenshot of the layer properties symbology tab and also identify a cell to see what the raster cell values are? I'm guessing a standard float?

0 Kudos