How to uncorrupt ARCTOOLBOX

10-27-2021 02:19 PM
AnthonyBridgeman
New Contributor

ArcMap or ArcGIS10.7.1. Whenever I startup either application, I find duplicate entries in the ARCTOOLBOX in addition to entries that appear to be outdated (i.e., pointing to tools that are not present on the computer). Is there a way to fix this issue other than reinstalling the software from scratch?

I already tried renaming the template files for the applications so the templates and ArcToolBox.dat file so those files would refresh automatically. This did not resolve the issue.

I also tried to "remove" the extraneous tools from the ARCTOOLBOX and "save to default file".  It does save the changes to the default file, however, I have to manually load the default file every time I work in the applications.

I attached a screenshot of a portion of the corrupted ARCTOOLBOX. See the duplicates. Also, the "Defense Mapping Tool" has no corresponding tool anywhere on the computer that I could find. There are four entries that have no corresponding tool anywhere on the computer and all of the other tools have duplicate entries.  Thanks for your consideration.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you try all the steps in How To: Perform a soft ArcGIS Desktop reset (esri.com)?

Think Location
0 Kudos
AnthonyBridgeman
New Contributor

Thank you for your very prompt suggested resolution. I did follow the steps and the reinitialization of the ArcMap settings seemed to occur as they should as a result of following the steps.  However, the issue remains.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Windows Add/Remove Programs, select Remove, then Repair.  It may fix any corruption to the initial installation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos