How to prevent the capitalization of the Field heading when selecting a table from a shapefile by applying the Table select tool in ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
05-01-2021 02:35 AM
badrinathkar
New Contributor III

When I select a table using the Table Select tool (Analysis Tools>Extract>Table Select) in ArcGIS it capitalizes all fields heading in the extracted table. I want to prevent this capitalization of the fields and keep the shapefile's attribute table format (i.e. wherefrom the table is extracted). I have to save the table in a file (e.g., C:\User\Desktop\Geom), not in a geodatabase. Please find the figure.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do the Field Name and Alias of the shapefile's attribute table have different cases/ words?

An output Geodatabase table will maintain the alias (if different) when using Table Select. On the other hand, a basic table file (*.dbf) will not maintain the alias (i.e. Field Name and Alias Name will be same by default).

For creating table in a file folder, browse to the file desired path, and type table name with appropriate extension (e.g. C:\User\Desktop\Geom\TBLPOP2000.dbf).

Here is one I created

JayantaPoddar_0-1619864048928.png

Alternatively, you may use Table to Table (Conversion) 

Think Location

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do the Field Name and Alias of the shapefile's attribute table have different cases/ words?

An output Geodatabase table will maintain the alias (if different) when using Table Select. On the other hand, a basic table file (*.dbf) will not maintain the alias (i.e. Field Name and Alias Name will be same by default).

For creating table in a file folder, browse to the file desired path, and type table name with appropriate extension (e.g. C:\User\Desktop\Geom\TBLPOP2000.dbf).

Here is one I created

JayantaPoddar_0-1619864048928.png

Alternatively, you may use Table to Table (Conversion) 

Think Location