how to fix an overlapping boundary

05-30-2023 11:47 AM
Labels (1)
HannahLacey
New Contributor

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.8.1

I have a shapefile that has several polygons within it delineating different forest stand boundary within a greater area.

I want to display all the stands individually with a thick boundary line of a unique color and a hollow fill. I used symbology to achieve this, but I am having problems with overlap. Many of the stand boundaries overlap and one color goes over the other. I am looking for a side by side display of the two boundaries not any overlap. I tried clipping but it ended up deleting or removing the part of the stand boundaries that touched or the whole boundary altogether. 

I need some type of trick to show two boundaries side by side from within the same polygon. Is this possible?

Thank you for the help!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Possible Integrate https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/data-management-toolbox/integrate.htm but take a copy of the data as it modifies the input.

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
You need to choose a feature attribute hierarchy. What you create with overlay analysis requires this as a follow up process, as it will return the overlap as a separate polygon. If you can not create a hierarchy, then run a union analysis, and display the overlap as a different symbology to indicate your area of uncertainty.
Regards.
0 Kudos