How to expand extent without moving my current view

Jump to solution
12-06-2020 08:56 PM
Labels (1)
ARIOS1Longoria
New Contributor

Hi all. I am currently using ArcMap 10.6.1.  I have very limited knowledge with the software, but know enough to get by.  I am trying to modify a map I had previously made. I'd like to see more of the surrounding area than what is currently shown in my data frame. But I don't want anything to move. I have symbols, polygons, and text in my current view and I don't want to shift their position.  How can I increase the extent without anything moving? I assume it has something to do with Fixed Scale, but just not sure how to make it happen.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

sounds like you have all the elements added into the layout.  As far as I know, its not possible to adjust the map extent or scale without affecting these.  You could try to copy the elements into the dataframe (select and copy the elements, focus the dataframe by double-clicking in it then paste) but that still usually alters size etc.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

have you tried to change the scale from the scale box only?

Scale500.PNGScale3000000.PNG

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

sounds like you have all the elements added into the layout.  As far as I know, its not possible to adjust the map extent or scale without affecting these.  You could try to copy the elements into the dataframe (select and copy the elements, focus the dataframe by double-clicking in it then paste) but that still usually alters size etc.)

ARIOS1Longoria
New Contributor

This did the trick! I followed your steps above and it looks like it worked. While it is resizing the map, the elements I copied over adjust as the view changes.  I can work with that! Thanks so much. Learned something new!

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

In your tools toolbar there are two tools that look like arrows pointing in or out. If you select them you can zoom your extent in and out  and it will stay centered on where you were.  

0 Kudos