Get records from a feature class onto map without geocoding

06-23-2020 11:03 AM
DavidBarry
New Contributor

Is there any way to create a map point for a record in a FC without geocoding? I have a point FC which has records that have addresses and I need to get them on the map. The problem with geocoding is that the result would need to be stored in a different output location. I want to keep the features in the feature class - just create a spatial location for them as all of their attribute information is already in the FC.

Thanks in advance,

David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I have a point FC which has records that have addresses and I need to get them on the map.

What is keeping you from from just adding the feature class?  Are the XY values of the points coincident with the address location?  Perhaps you can clarify what you want to do.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DavidBarry
New Contributor

The feature class is a table which is already in ArcMap. The table has addresses and a few other fields but no XY values. The records were created by another user who entered them directly to the table and populated the attributes instead of first creating the feature on the map and then assigning attributes.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The feature class is a table

Well... That's a contradiction in terms;  In arcgis you have a feature class or you have a table.  You have a table of addresses, and the only to visualize the records in that table as points is to geocode them.

0 Kudos
DavidBarry
New Contributor

But you can edit the feature class and add records to the attribute table, right?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Features have some sort of geometry: point, line or polygon. A feature class has an attribute table.  To add a record to a feature class, you will add a feature, and then edit the corresponding record in the attribute table.  Below is a screen capture from ArcGIS Pro of a Point feature class and its attribute table: note that I have one point feature selected and the corresponding record in the attribute is highlighted as well.

The point feature class shown above is the result of gecoding the table below.  Some of the field values are populated, some are not.  I used the addr field with which to geocode this table:

The only way I can see this table is to view as such.  There is no geometry associated with it; it's just a table of records.

So, which do you have?  A feature class with an attribute table, or just a table that happens to have a field called Address in it?

What is GIS? | Geographic Information System Mapping Technology 

0 Kudos