Can I add fields more than one at a time or import from excel?

Jump to solution
03-17-2022 10:10 AM
mcbeth99
New Contributor III

I have a client that requires attribute tables to have13 additional fields populated with project specific data added to each shapefile we provide to them (fields include project number, year of survey, report author etc.).  Up till now I have been adding one field at a time then populating the table accordingly (all this data remains consistent for each line in the table).  I'm thinking there has to be an easier way to do this than add each file separately for sometimes 6+ shapefiles per-project.  Is there anyway to add more than one field at a time? Or import the data, including adding the fields from excel?  Or any other ideas? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

@mcbeth99, yep!—There is an easier way!  You can import them from Excel.  Try running either Table to Geodatabase (multiple) or Table to Table to get your Excel columns into GIS (beware of special characters in the field headings—you may have to format the columns a bit before importing).

You may even be able to join the columns directly to the shpefile from the .xls or .xlsx spreadsheet using the Join Field tool without having to import them first (though sometimes this doesn't work if the workstation has an outdated Microsoft Access Database Engine).

Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,

t

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ThomasHamill

@mcbeth99, if there's a common field between the attributes spreadsheet and the shapefile that would facilitate a link to pull in all of your populated fields and attach them to the features in the shapefile, you could use the Join Field tool (found under ArcToolbox --> Data Management --> Joins --> Join Field).

If your workspace is a geodatabase, you could also use the Table to Geodatabase (multiple) tool (found in ArcToolbox --> Conversion Tools --> To Geodatabase) to bring in a bunch of tables at a time for joining (again, if there's a unique-ID field common between the features and attributes) to your shapefile or feature class.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
mcbeth99
New Contributor III

Thanks @ThomasHamill I can definitely make a common field. I will try this and see how it works.  Stay tuned!  Thanks so much!

mcbeth99
New Contributor III

So the issue here is the fields I have in Excel (columns) and need to add in ArcMap I don't have them as fields in ArcMap.  I as adding them before by adding a new field to the attribute table.  That however takes awhile when you are adding 13 fields and have multiple files to add them to.  So is there an easier way to add multiple new fields in ArcMap, seems like I can't just import them from Excel. @ThomasHamill 

ThomasHamill

@mcbeth99, yep!—There is an easier way!  You can import them from Excel.  Try running either Table to Geodatabase (multiple) or Table to Table to get your Excel columns into GIS (beware of special characters in the field headings—you may have to format the columns a bit before importing).

You may even be able to join the columns directly to the shpefile from the .xls or .xlsx spreadsheet using the Join Field tool without having to import them first (though sometimes this doesn't work if the workstation has an outdated Microsoft Access Database Engine).

Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,

t
mcbeth99
New Contributor III

@ThomasHamill  this is it!  Thank you so much!  I did a Table to Table then Join Field!  I cannot tell you how helpful this is!  Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
ThomasHamill

@mcbeth99, that's great to hear!  I'm glad that worked out for you! 

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos