Best tool to make polygon feature of all slopes over a set value?

Jump to solution
10-31-2021 10:21 AM
Atlas_Beetle
New Contributor III

I made a slope map, and I want to make a polygon feature of just the areas that are equal to or over a set slope. If I use raster calculator it will give me a raster with two cell types correct? Those that fit my requirement and those that don't. Is there a way to then delete the polygons of the areas I don't need, the ones that are shallower in slope, or is there a better method for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using Reclassify tool, you could classify the Raster into two "New Values" (if needed, you could keep the new value as NoData for the value range you don't need). Then you could do a Raster to Polygon

Think Location

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Using Reclassify tool, you could classify the Raster into two "New Values" (if needed, you could keep the new value as NoData for the value range you don't need). Then you could do a Raster to Polygon

Think Location
Atlas_Beetle
New Contributor III

That was just the start I needed thank you, I ended up using Raster Calculator since using the Reclassify tool I either couldn't or couldn't figure out how to select for a greater than/equal to expression. With Raster Calc I could. Then edited the attribute table to delete all my null values and used Raster to Polygon like you suggested. That brought back null values, so had to select by attribute again to delete those as well.

If I could ask a followup, what would be the best way to determine how much of my new polygon areas ... I made a rotated fishnet grid with a whole lot of fiddling, and I want to generate a table that will tell me how much of my new high slope areas are in each grid section. There must be a tool to do this...probably more than one. Would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos