ArcMap starts splash screen and goes to Loading Document then fails

Jump to solution
10-25-2017 06:53 PM
RickCheney
Occasional Contributor III

I am running Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10.4.1    ArcMap was working fine but now when I try to start ArcMap the splash screen pops up and goes to Loading Document then disappears.  I found some info relating this to the version of Python but I don't know how to tell which version of Python I am using with ArcMap.

Any ideas to solve or at least troubleshoot the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickCheney

Thank you!  I could not find the files listed at the link.  I went to Windows control panel and Programs and Features and selected ArcGIS 10.4.1 for Desktop and clicked Uninstall and then selected Modify, I selected Python and something like this feature not available (or whatever), which uninstalled only the Python part of ArcGIS.  Then, I restarted the computer, went back to control panel, programs and features, selected ArcGIS again and modify and this time I selected Python and the option to make it available all the time (something like Run from this computer).  Restarted the computer again and ArcMap started normally.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If it was working, an just started acting up, always try https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=a81cda47-f449-42b7-bf59-209991618a8a&sea...‌ as the first step.  (After a reboot of course).

RickCheney

Thank you!  I could not find the files listed at the link.  I went to Windows control panel and Programs and Features and selected ArcGIS 10.4.1 for Desktop and clicked Uninstall and then selected Modify, I selected Python and something like this feature not available (or whatever), which uninstalled only the Python part of ArcGIS.  Then, I restarted the computer, went back to control panel, programs and features, selected ArcGIS again and modify and this time I selected Python and the option to make it available all the time (something like Run from this computer).  Restarted the computer again and ArcMap started normally.