Apply Data Frame Clipping to Labels in ArcMap v10.8.1 with Standard Label Engine

01-11-2022 02:42 PM
Labels (2)
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

One of my layers is still labeling well outside of the clipped data frame extent, and I'm not sure why. Yes, I'm using the Standard Label Engine and would prefer to stick with that -- surely there is a way to make the labels be included in this setting without having to use the Maplex Label Engine?! See below:

KathrynWesson_0-1641940776151.png

Any help is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SamuelTroth2
Esri Contributor

Hi Kathryn,

I have been testing your issue in ArcMap 10.8.1 but I am unable to reproduce the problem with the data I have. Could you possibly provide me with the data you are using and the properties you have set on the label class?

Regards,

Sam

Esri

0 Kudos
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

Hi! Sorry for the late reply; the issue occurs when I use "Clip to shape" on the data frame and then utilize the "Exclude Layers" option. Like this:

KathrynWesson_0-1651863983420.png

Maybe it's a software bug? You can download the public version of our local roads data here, and the county boundary data here if you have time to test out my theory. I used Ziebach County in my example.

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

Were you able to discover a resolution to this issue? I am using ArcPro and the same seems to occur i.e. the spatial data is hidden but the labels/annotation are still showing.

Thanks and I hope there is a solution.

0 Kudos
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

No solution to my original post, however...

I work mostly with ArcMap still, so I have no idea if this will also apply in ArcGIS Pro, but I've had phantom labels appear for features whose values aren't included in a category-based symbology schema. So, if you've removed a certain value from the feature's symbology (and unchecked the <all other values> class), make sure to also apply that omission to the labeling SQL query, too. This is because an omitted symbology class is essentially still on the map as an "invisible" feature; if you want to fully hide a feature from the map, including its labels, using a Definition Query would accomplish this.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Kathryn

Thanks for your response. I am using a mask layer as my extent clipping boundaries and using map series definitions to filter the records based upon the area relating to the map series sheet. If the symbology was similar to QGIS, where you can set multiple different styles per layer and simply change between, that would work but each map set needs to contain varied symbology hence I use the legend to rather filter these and not have multiple layers with different symbology sets. But ArcPro, like ArcMap, seems to not make use of the filter definition in the clipping area, or at least possibly only for symbology and not annotation/labels, which is rather disappointing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

Ah, sorry, guess you're in the same-ish boat as me! Sounds like it's just buggy, but I've never created a map series, so maybe there's an elusive setting you have to use to filter the labels. Try creating a new community thread and see if any Esri folks bite. Good luck!

0 Kudos
SamuelTroth2
Esri Contributor

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry for not looking at this sooner. I am still unable to reproduce your issue with labels placing outside the clipped extent, I am using the roads and counties data you kindly provided links for. 

Does the problem still occur if there are no layers excluded from the clipping? (e.g. The DOT layer you have in your screenshot)

Could you possibly provide your mxd and any other data in your map? There are ways of sending this to me directly if you're not comfortable sharing in a public forum.

Regards,

Sam

Esri

0 Kudos
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

Hi Sam, I must have missed the notification for your message all those months ago. Sorry! I have a map package for you which shows the labeling error situation. If I could send it to you directly, that would be great; please let me know you best contact method.

Thanks!

0 Kudos