Add Data Dialog is Blank

Jump to solution
03-18-2021 05:43 AM
chipmunkwhiz
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS 10.7.1  and when I go to add Data the Dialog box is blank.  I can open Catalog and see the linked data sources.  I can even get to Catalog from the Icon on the top of the Add Data dialog box.

I should also mention I can drag a layer from its source and drop it on the map, but the Add Data dialog is always blank from where ever I access it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Try resetting the application.  First close all maps and catalogs. Go to here C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming and rename the Esri folder to Esri_old.  Now restart the map and see if its fixed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are you connnect to the folder?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
chipmunkwhiz
New Contributor

In Arc Catalog all my old data connections are there.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

screen grab?  If memory serves, there is a folder icon that allows you to navigate to the required gdb or folder

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
chipmunkwhiz
New Contributor

Untitled.png

 I've tried it, I can use the folder icon to get to the catalog connections, navigate to a new folder, but once selected the dialog remains blank.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

sorry, arcmap was too long ago.  There was a "refresh" option/icon  during the navigation process, once you landed on the source location.  connections need to be refreshed if new data was added to the location that didn't exist after arcmap was started

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
chipmunkwhiz
New Contributor

I just stepped through a few different ways, I don't see anything for refreshing.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

refresh_icon.png

in Pro, can't remember for arcmap

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
chipmunkwhiz
New Contributor

The windows do not have that option. the only other dialog is the blank one.  I've tried the age old F5, with no change.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Try resetting the application.  First close all maps and catalogs. Go to here C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming and rename the Esri folder to Esri_old.  Now restart the map and see if its fixed.