We are using Workforce pretty extensively to generate work order tickets and integrating with survey to manage timesheet data. We've been experiencing frequent issues where it simply won't lets us generate tickets. etc. My colleague is on with ESRI support. I'm just wondering if other users have experienced similar large scale Workforce issues. The strangest thing is that its periodic and not consistent outages.
Today for example we can pull data from AGO but can't fully edit it. Add/Delete doesn't work. Editing the attributes does.
Thanks for the feedback. Adding those itemID entries to the operational layers in the map resolved our issue. I am highly confident that we did not remove those itemID entries yesterday, but now that they are present, Workforce dispatcher seems to be working.
Thanks again so much for the help.
Hi Craig and James,
thank you for your help. The workers layer had been removed from the dispatch map, very odd as know one had updated this. I reinstated (added) the workers layer to the dispatch map, saved the map, and opened the project and the project dispatch view now works.
Hello Michelle, we have a client that is having this issue today. Their project is pretty big (16,000+ assignments). I checked another clients Workforce and it seems fine. I was about to create a support ticket and found your post. We haven't found a solution yet.
Hello James, Yes, adding the worker layer back did fix their problem. We will verify that other clients don't have this issue today.
Thank you for being so responsive to this. I was concerned about the amount of time it might take to resolve if we had to go through Esri support. Our clients use Workforce for a critical workflow. Let me know if you want any additional information.