Workforce integration with Field Maps

Jump to solution
01-28-2021 12:28 PM
BillLotz
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I have upgraded to 10.8.1, installed the Workforce general patch and Field Maps 20.4.0. When creating a new Workforce project, under the advanced tab, Field Maps do not show up in the App Integration Window. It shows Collector, Explorer, Navigator, survey123, but no Field Maps.

I've restarted computers and servers and logged out and back in, but no change. Field Maps functions correctly, I've mad a couple of maps. It seems confusing, when I launch the the Resources tab in Workforce project manager page it takes me to help that seems to be for the previous version, it talks about expanding the App Integration, but that was in the last version. Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
HrEngen
New Contributor

Can I use the Phyton API from Arcgis Pro or do it have to be Developer? 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, you do not have to be a developer. I'd suggest starting with this topic in our online help:
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/workforce/android-phone/help/workforce-schema.htm

However, if you're not comfortable with using the Python API, since we've moved the Integrations into a table you can edit the table directly . I believe I replied to a previous comment on this thread with an example of how the app integration could look for Field Maps.

Craig

0 Kudos
HrEngen
New Contributor

Hello.
I was hoping that the integration was more integreted ind workforce. 

My thoughts was that when the worker starts an assignment it sutomatic goes to the survey app og any other app with integration.

Mayby workforce isn´t the right app for the project i´m working on.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

This ability is in the backlog to consider, however, there are a few reasons we do not support this

• Since not all use cases involve automatically launching the target app - the Worker needs to add notes or photos before going to the other app
  • The worker can start the assignment from the To Do list
  • The assignment has multiple integrations

This was a purposeful decision to not launch the other app right away on Start but it is in our backlog to consider.

Craig

0 Kudos
HrEngen
New Contributor

Hello Craig.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I understand your reasons.

If you consider it again, mayby the integration to a target app could be if it fits with the task. 

Tasktype one does require the target app - maybe Survey123 - automatically launches the app

Tasktype two dosent require the target app - does nothing - the original start button.

Task three requres the target app - maybe Field maps - automatically launches the app

Some of the app have the foto and notes possibility.

For this project i´m going to make it work in other ArcGIS products.

Søren

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Søren,

It's something we can consider - we'll have to balance it with how this kind of integration works when there are other integrations configured for the assignment type; e.g. a Routing or Navigator integration.  The other consideration is we also get requests to support multiple of the same app integration for each type - so, for a type of work assignment, allow 2 Survey integrations.

Not impossible to support but just adds more options to consider. 

Craig

0 Kudos
BillLotz

Thanks Craig, if I can be a bit of a critic, the documentation can be very confusing as to what version of Workforce it applies to and if it's AOL or enterprise. The same applies to ESRI videos and blog posts. With the Desktop help it tells you what version and platform with the dropdown to change. The videos and blog posts do have dates and you can infer what release from that, but a bit more specifics would help ease my, and I am hoping others, confusion.

That being said the apps are great and I appreciate them. Is the script on GitHub?

Thanks,

Bill

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bill,

You mention the Resources tab and the doc topic it links to in your original post, is that the part of the doc you find confusing?  Can you point us to any other areas that lead to believe this was supported in 10.8.1?  We want the doc to be clear and concise on these topics should would like to get your feedback on how to improve it.

Yes, the scripts are part of the ArcGIS API for Python and its Workforce module.

Here's the doc topic on it:
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/workforce/android-phone/help/workforce-schema.htm

Craig

0 Kudos
BillLotz

Hello Craig,

I think the reason (at least one of them) I got confused is that when I had problems I did a google search for "arcgis workforce documentation" and ended up at: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/workforce/faqs/faqs-general.htm and found "What apps can I integrate with Workforce, and what do those integrations provide? Workforce supports integration with ArcGIS Field Maps, ArcGIS Collector, ArcGIS Explorer, ArcGIS Navigator, and ArcGIS Survey123" Above there it says that to use Workforce with 10.8.1 you must install the Portal patch, so I assumed Field maps would be available.

What I was getting at is in the Desktop help, it specifically states the version and platform that the help applies to. I am not sure what version the FAQ that I referenced applies to, it might be there somewhere, but at first glance I don't see it.

With desktop it is right there at the top of the documentation: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/get-started/main/get-started-with-arcmap.htm

Thanks,

Bill

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bill, we'll be updating the doc to point out that Workforce does support integration with Field Maps at 10.8.1

Craig