Workforce - Creating Assignments from existing Feature Layer

09-15-2020 08:31 AM
SarahHollier
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am brand new to workforce and have been asked to set one up for assigning jobs for the installation of christmas lights across our region. I have a feature layer with 435 existing locations which I would like to add in as individual assignments, ideally 3 for each location (installation, safety check and photograph) as these tasks may not be done at the same time/by same user so i think they need to be separate assignments.

Is there a way to load in an existing feature layer to the assignments so I don't need to create each one manually? It would be useful to load in the details from the feature layer as well so I don't need to provide field crews with additional details, eg light type, mounting method, power source etc. It would be a one off exercise so I got a little lost reading up about automation of tasks.

Thanks and I hope that makes sense,

Sarah

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

Hi Sarah Hollier‌,

Yes, there is.

You can achieve this using ArcGIS API for Python, refer to the following links which show how to create assignments based on an existing feature layer with examples:

https://community.esri.com/groups/workforce-for-arcgis/blog/2020/03/10/automate-workforce-with-the-a... 

Automate Workforce with ArcGIS API for Python 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Please mark as helpful if you find it helpful. If it answered your question please mark it as answered.

SarahHollier
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply, I had hoped there was a way without going down the Python API route as that is a bit beyond my skill level, my python skills are very basic and I got extremely confused with the help documentation on this as it is certainly targeted at someone with a greater knowledge of Python than I have.

I ended up adding the feature layer into the dispatcher and worker map and creating the assignments manually from that. Then the operatives on site could click on the existing feature layer for information about the installation and we can link the datasets later using a common unique ID. Not an ideal workflow but with the time constraints and my skill limitations at least it works.

Thanks

Sarah

0 Kudos
AdamGaudet
New Contributor III

I'll piggy back off this comment and say that this is a feature that definitely should be included in Workforce and I'm surprised it isn't when we are close to 4 years after someone posting this comment. I'm also surprised there isn't as many people asking about this as it seems like it would be a key piece for many Workforce-driven projects (building a project from data that already exists). Anyways, my Python skills are strong enough so I think I can get there from what's laid out in the blog, though the blog is also dated almost 4 years ago so I'll prepare myself for some hiccups or road blocks.