New Workforce app: takes too long to update the todo list

09-30-2020 08:34 PM
LanNguyen1
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm on the latest Workforce for Android. It takes ages for the app to update the new Todo list, even with manual hitting the Sync button. I sometimes have to turn off the app and come back to try the Sync and it works.

Has anyone suffered the same issue?

Thanks,

Tags (2)
21 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm on the latest Workforce for Android. It takes ages for the app to update the new Todo list, even with manual hitting the Sync button. I sometimes have to turn off the app and come back to try the Sync and it works.

The new Workforce mobile app will perform a sync every 15 mins, unless there are local edits (i.e. Worker's location or status have changed or an assignment has been changed in the app). In the case when there are local edits, the sync will be performed every 60 secs.  If you aren't changing anything in the mobile app, this could explain why it seems to take ages to update the To Do list.

Manually tapping the sync button should initiate and complete a sync in a relatively short period of time (i.e. under 1 min).  Are you trying to sync a large number of assignments or assignments with a large number of attachments?

Craig

0 Kudos
LanNguyen1
New Contributor III

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your answer!  I have tried all possibilities I could think of: changing sync time, manual sync, networks.... and experienced that it updates faster when I kill the app and restart. I'm on Note9 Samsung which is a solid device. The classical project with the old app work faster.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

What version of Android are you using?

Are you trying to sync a large number of assignments or assignments with a large number of attachments?

Craig

0 Kudos
PeterMilenkovic
Occasional Contributor

Also having issues using the Android app, only have 4 assignments to sync and nothing has happened, been like 10mins

0 Kudos
RavitejaViswanadha_CyientInc
New Contributor III

Hello @LanNguyen1  or @CraigGillgrass  - Did we get any resolution for this ? You are inputs will be very valuable. Because we are seeing the same issue in iPad with ArcGIS Workforce 20.1.1 build 616.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

What issue are you seeing?  Workforce sync operates with the following rules:

Workforce has an automatic sync that occurs every 15 minutes when the mobile worker has an internet connection. If the mobile worker updates an assignment, their worker status, or their location, an automatic sync occurs every 60 seconds. Mobile workers can also perform a manual sync when they have an internet connection by tapping Sync now in the mobile app.

You can see the status of sync and the time since the last sync attempt by tapping the Sync command in the upper right hand corner of the app.

Craig

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I agree @CraigGillgrass that is the expected behavior once the Project downloaded successfully. The issue that we are seeing is the initial download is very slow in few instances it takes more than 20-30 minutes to download.  We wanted to see if this has been observed ? Is there a way to improve the performance ? 

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

Yes, it can take this long it depends on several factors.  Have you created a Map Area for the Workforce project in the web app?  If you haven't; then the mobile app may be trying to download more data than it needs. It also means, each mobile app will need to generate the offline package data as opposed to it be generated once for all workers.

Craig

New Contributor III

Thank you @CraigGillgrass . We did not create any Map Areas , we need the a Workforce Worker map for larger area as Dispatcher could assign the work anywhere. Hence as we understand in this case the entire map area is being downloaded. 

0 Kudos