Select to view content in your preferred language

Is Workforce the right tool for work order system?

06-14-2024 08:49 AM
AlexBuechner
New Contributor II

Hello.  I am looking for a better system for managing our sewer system work.  From what i have seen, it looks like Workforce may do what we need.

I'm looking for a work order system that allows us to select an asset from our sewer GIS maps, and then create a work order (inspections, repairs, new installs).  I also need to be able to track completed work.

Is this the kind of thing that Workforce was intended for?  

If yes, I have created a new project, but do not know how to get my sewer map data to show up.

Any advice for someone just dipping their toes into Workforce?  thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

Alex

We implemented ESRI Workforce for our electric and water crew(s) approximately 10 months ago. There were some serious learning curves and bugs we had to workout, but at this point, it has become a primary tool for our electric supervisor and field crew foremen. 

Regarding the infrastructure dataset being included in the workforce project, that has been something I had to do a lot of trial and error. What I have seen that has worked is upload the dataset from a file GDB in ArcGIS Pro to a Hosted Feature Layer. This data is for information only, not editable by the crew(s). I use ArcGIS Online to open the dispatch and mobile worker web map and add the hosted feature layer as any other AGOL layer. You do need to make sure sync is enabled. If its not, we have ran into problems with updating the feature layer. I've also built a Python script to automatically update the dataset from ArcGIS Pro on a nightly basis. 

If I can try to be some more help as you implement Workforce, please let me know. I will do what I can and what I've learned up to this point. 

LizArmstrong
Esri Contributor

Hi Alex, 

I'm one of the product managers for Workforce (and Field Maps). Workforce was built to create assignments as you described but we have some new functionality coming soon in Field Maps that might address your needs. We'd love to talk to you about your workflow needs in order to determine the best solution for you. If you're open to a call, please send our team an email at arcgisfieldmaps@esri.com

Thank you,
Liz

Beth--Ann
New Contributor

Hi Liz, 

I was just approached by my small town's Utility Department who are looking for an integrated GIS and Work Order tracking system. Based on my searching, it sounds like Field Maps is soon to be the frontrunner from ESRI to accomplish this task. Are there any public dates about when those new functionalities will be available? 

Thanks, 

Beth Ann

0 Kudos