Despatcher Photos not appearing on mobile App (consistently)

Jump to solution
04-21-2021 10:14 PM
Brady
by
New Contributor III

Hi @CraigGillgrass 

We recently migrated from a classic project that had no issues whatsoever.

This week, there seems to be no end of issues with the migrated project.  Mobile worker locations are not updating. Jobs that are reassigned still remaining on workers devices even after it was reassigned and synced many times. Those jobs not appearing on the new assignee's devices after syncing. 

The biggest issue mainly is the lack of consistency with attachments. Photos attached by despatchers are randomly coming through on jobs. Five here, one, none there, even though all assignments have attachments. This was never an issue in the classic version. Syncing many times or reloading the map in workforce doesn't help.

Are we missing something? It's a bog-standard OOTB project migration.  I have been working locally with Esri here in Perth and we are not really getting anywhere at the moment.

Today we are getting Authentication issues when they try to sync on a few more phones that people are already logged into. Crazy. Any help would be appreciated. Android versions all.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @SHiiNZo without capturing network traffic, we're going to have to start removing variables to figure out what the issue is.  Are there any non-workforce layers in the map?  Is it possible to test out a scenario where a worker has assignments with NO attachments to see if that still reproduces the issue?

We're working on getting a Beta build of Workforce with the Troubleshooting logging to the Play store 

View solution in original post

CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @GlenShepherd 

Have you ever encountered any strange behaviour or errors when the ArcGIS Workforce Project feature layer has views built off of it?

Have not seen that, no - Views are widely used with the new Workforce schema and we haven't gotten any reports like you're mentioning.

Craig

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Brady What releases of Android OS and Workforce are you running?

0 Kudos
Brady
by
New Contributor III

Hi Craig. Android ver. 11 on my S10. Workforce 21.0.1

Most of the mobile workers are on s10's and I think would be Android 11 as well. They are all on same app version as me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @SHiiNZo without capturing network traffic, we're going to have to start removing variables to figure out what the issue is.  Are there any non-workforce layers in the map?  Is it possible to test out a scenario where a worker has assignments with NO attachments to see if that still reproduces the issue?

We're working on getting a Beta build of Workforce with the Troubleshooting logging to the Play store 

Brady
by
New Contributor III

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply. I have already stripped back the map to bare bones and the issue still existed. 

I think I have stumbled upon the cause and I think it seems to be with the migration. All assignments, despatchers, assignment types, and attachments were migrated using the python method and the same number of objects in the classic project appeared in the new project.

Going into the despatcher map, attachments from assignments (that were from the classic project) show as attached like we expected and you can view them as normal. However, these don't seem to sync to the device when the job is assigned.

These are the conditions I have found.

• A new assignment that is created and has attachments added syncs as expected to the device.
  • A migrated assignment with attachments syncs to the device but does not sync the attachments.

A new attachment added to one of those migrated jobs only has the new attachment sync to the device.

If I save out the attachments from an assignment, delete them from the assignment and re-add them and assign the job, the attachments only then come through.

This is strange behaviour since both the depatcher and mobile worker maps reference the same featureclasses and you would expect if the despatcher can see them and open them then it stands to reason that the mobile worker should see them too.

Certainly something is amiss with the migration of attachments.

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @Brady 

Ok, we'll take a look at the python migration script to see if we can determine the issue.

Craig

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Brady we think we've reproduced what you're describing and believe it's due to the asynchronous nature of how the attachments are loaded.

To try and confirm this - can you perform the following test.

• Open the project and tap on any assignment that has attachments that were migrated from the Classic project
  • Wait on the Assignment details dialog.
  • Do you see the attachments start to appear?  The length of time will depend on the network speed and attachment size
    • This is what we see in our testing

Craig

GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi Craig,

We're looking into the issue at Esri Australia technical support. We've also replicated slow response from the ArcGIS Workforce application (on Android 11 devices) when trying to view Assignment photo attachments. About 5-10 seconds.

However we're also seeing a failure to attach photos via the camera capture method (uploads work fine).

Have you ever encountered any strange behaviour or errors when the ArcGIS Workforce Project feature layer has views built off of it?

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @GlenShepherd 

Have not seen that, no - Views are widely used with the new Workforce schema and we haven't gotten any reports like you're mentioning.

Craig