ArcGIS Workforce - Creating Assignments from Feature

05-04-2018 11:34 PM
CharlieDoherty
New Contributor II

Hi,

As part of a digital transformation process we are looking at a work management tool for our Grounds Maintenance teams.

I have been having a play around with Workforce and I think this could really work for us. One thing I am struggling with is the ability to create assignments from features, I have set the default map to one our existing maps but when creating an assignment don't seem to have the ability to select a feature. Do I need to use a map with a feature layer for this to work? I have enabled pop-ups on all of the layers I would like to create assignments from.

If we do need to use feature layers this could cause a problem as the majority of our data is currently in Shapefile format.

I appreciate I have very little knowledge of Workforce but couldn't see an answer to this on the web or in any documentation.

Any help or information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Charlie,

One thing I am struggling with is the ability to create assignments from features, I have set the default map to one our existing maps but when creating an assignment don't seem to have the ability to select a feature. Do I need to use a map with a feature layer for this to work? I have enabled pop-ups on all of the layers I would like to create assignments from.

Can you go into a little more detail on what you mean by "set the default map to one our existing maps"?

If we do need to use feature layers this could cause a problem as the majority of our data is currently in Shapefile format.

How are you including the shapefiles in the web map?  Are you using the "Add Layer from file" command?

Craig

0 Kudos
CharlieDoherty
New Contributor II

Hi Craig,

Thanks for helping out with this it is much appreciated and also apologies for the delay in response.

By setting the default map I was referring to setting the dispatcher map to a map I had published from ArcGIS server. 

I originally enabled popups on the layer so was hoping I could create assignments from any features in the map.

I also tried this by simply adding layer from file as you mentioned but experience the same problem.

when creating assignments and trying to click on a feature it simply creates an assignment against the closest address it can find rather than the feature. Do I need to use a specific type of layer for this, I was hoping we could simply use one of our already published map services.

Thanks again for your help and if there is any further information I can provide please just let me know.

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
By setting the default map I was referring to setting the dispatcher map to a map I had published from ArcGIS server. 

I'm not quite sure how you are doing this; Workforce doesn't allow the setting of web maps to be different than the two maps created with the Project.

I originally enabled popups on the layer so was hoping I could create assignments from any features in the map.

This is supported, but with published layers.  When you create an Assignment from an existing feature, the Pop-up title will be used for the Location of the assignment.  This doc topic shows you how this works: Create your first assignment—Workforce for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Craig

0 Kudos