Can I configure overlapping areas by job type in Workflow Manager when not allowed in system configuration?

05-10-2019 07:33 AM
Ulises
by
Occasional Contributor III

WMX provides the following LOI overlapping options as system settings:

• allow
  • disallow
  • disallow by job type

In our shop we do not allow overlapping areas but there are special cases (common enough) that require to work on jobs inside other job areas.  The "principal" job is mainly created to identify and define the overall LOI of the "mini-jobs" to be work inside that extent.  Due to the nature of those jobs and to be able to work more efficiently they need to allow overlapping AOIs so we like to have the option to allow overlapping areas by job type (mini jobs) but allowing to overlap with other job types (main job) so we can still have the main extent delimited or somehow parent and child jobs be able to share an LOI.  Right now we have the main LOI created in job type A and corresponding jobs (job type B) as child jobs but either skipping AOI creation (not desired) or creating AOI as they are available in the main extent (which delay our operations).  Is it possible to do this configuration now???  Thanks

Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SamWest1
Esri Contributor

Hello,

This is tricky with the way the overlap settings work, and I don't see an ideal solution that would prevent child jobs from having their AOIs outside of the parent while still allowing them to overlap. It sounds like you'd like your system to:

1. Have AOI restrictions between jobs
  2. Allow child jobs to overlap their parent job AOI, but not be defined outside of it
  3. Allow child jobs to overlap each other.

Disallow by Job Type doesn't allow overlap between the same job type, so that doesn't work with the third requirement, and the other two options don't fit the requirements either. Your best bet is to keep the Disallow setting, and instead grant the users who define the child AOIs the 'AOIOverlapOverride' privilege while defining the locations. Unfortunately, this will allow them to define the AOI outside of the parent job, but this is the only current way of maintaining AOI restrictions in general while also allowing the child jobs to overlap. 

I've passed along your use case for consideration in future design. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I hope this helps you move forward.

Thanks!
Sam

0 Kudos
Ulises
by
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the feedback!

Ulises Feliciano Troche
0 Kudos