Unable to start workflow manager service

Jump to solution
11-04-2022 12:50 PM
JoshuaJohnson5
New Contributor II

Using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1.

I am attempting to test the newly installed ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server, but when I click on the blue button that says "+ Create Workflow Item", after entering a name, I get a white screen that says:

"Unable to connect to the Portal or Workflow Manager Server. Please check the connection."

On the server that has workflow manager installed, the service isn't even started. When I click it to start, it errors out with Error 1067.

"Windows could not start the ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server Service on Local Computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

As far as I know, I have followed the instructions provided by ESRI. Not sure where to look, or if I missed a step.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaJohnson5
New Contributor II

Alright. Turns out it was a very simple solution!

There is a file at (if you did a default installation):

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\WorkflowManager\RUNNING_PID"

RUNNING_PID was telling the server that the Workflow service was already running, even though it was not. Deleting this file allowed the service to then be started.

It was essentially a "ghost service".

Apparently this is a common issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshuaJohnson5
New Contributor II

Well, I guess I'll try ESRI tech support. I'll post their solution once I get it.

0 Kudos
JoshuaJohnson5
New Contributor II

Alright. Turns out it was a very simple solution!

There is a file at (if you did a default installation):

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\WorkflowManager\RUNNING_PID"

RUNNING_PID was telling the server that the Workflow service was already running, even though it was not. Deleting this file allowed the service to then be started.

It was essentially a "ghost service".

Apparently this is a common issue.

0 Kudos
JFarmer
Esri Contributor

Hi @JoshuaJohnson5 

Sorry for my delayed reply here but glad Tech Support was able to help. I did want to mention, this issue is a bug at the 10.8.1 release of Workflow Manager Server. It was fixed at 10.9 and you won't see this any longer once you upgrade.

Jonathan

0 Kudos