Select to view content in your preferred language

With Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1, has anyone else found that adding a layer to existing mxd and overwriting an existing ArcGIS Server map service scrambles up the already configured popups in the already configured web map popups and Web Appbuilder's Query w

08-13-2015 09:19 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I added an additional layer from our enterprise geodatabase to an existing mxd.
The mxd's layers point to the enterprise geodatabase and the mxd is published to our Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1/ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 site.

I used the overwrite option and after it successfully publishes the Web AppBuilder application we already had working fine is not showing the correct attributes in the pop-ups.

I opened the web map to see if the configured pop-ups were correct and found some strange results.

It looks like adding a new feature class to the middle of the drawing order in the mxd pushed the web map pointers around so that opening the configure popup for one layer in the web map makes the dialog show attributes from a different layer in the web map.
I had to re-configure each pop-up again for most of the layers in the web map.
Some layers were not affected. I think the layers that below the new layer were affected.

Then I had to delete and re-create the Web AppBuilder's query widget setup which had a couple queries in it (search by apn and search by address)

Is this a known bug? Is there a work around?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MichaelRobb
Honored Contributor

Hopefully i didnt confuse the discussion.

Regarding the Unique ID, this is, as far as I have seen, is only when Portal is Federated with ArcGIS Server.  The second part to this is... widgets in the web app, such as Query or Search etc...rely on the layer integer from the Rest service.. if one overwrites the service, but has added one layer.. lets say in the middle of the layers.  Pure hypothetical example... 10 layers so {0} to {9} in the REST service.. and you added another layer in the middle... anything referencing {6} up to now {10} would break... I usually just go back into the JSON and change for a quick fix. (if using WAB).  THis is because in JSON e.g. search is looking at [[MapService]/MapServer/5 but that is now a different layer.. because you added one (for example). so it needs to be changed.

If you republish with No changes, nothing should break.

Alternatively, you could add a layer to the end of the TOC, have the layer added in the web map at the end of the Layer List.. and all queries, popups, summarize widgets etc.. would still work, (anything above that newly added layer.)  anything after.. would not.

Another example:

1.png

Please let me know that I understood your question.

JasonSmith6
Occasional Contributor

Michael,

You understood my question perfectly!  Thanks for taking the time to offer such a detailed response.  I believe your solution would certainly work if I didn't have Grouped layers.  Then I could add a new layer to the bottom of the TOC, and after publishing just move it up.  But with Groups, you can only move layers up and down within the same group.  So let's say I have 5 Groups.  If I want to add a new layer to Group 1, I'd have to add the layer to the bottom of Group 1 in ArcMap, so then it could be moved up in AGOL after publishing.  However, this would throw off the Layer ID for every group and layer from Group 2 - Group 5.  Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I presume you are not running any FeatureAccess Services as you have Grouped layers.
Composite/Group layers, yes, I understand the issue.

Adding to a map, you can still add layers specifically, rather than the group.  when you add the layer to the web map, point to the specific MapServer/[DIGIT].  However this is no longer grouped in the web map if that is for desired results for a web/mobile application, it is a weak alternative however.

Alternate options are  1. Get out of AGOL, this is a non-issue with a non federated portal and ArcGIS Server in house.

2.  Be fruitful in your planning of deploying a web map to minimize having to 'redo' map functionality after every publish.

Maybe someone has a nifty way of fixing or avoiding this in AGOL and post their comments!

Wish I could help more.