Web Appbuilder print problem

05-03-2016 02:11 PM
LonSharp
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having an odd issue trying to get the print widget working in Web Appbuilder on our Portal site.

Some background:  I've successfully managed to get it working in a series of applications, using a print service I published in Server.    One example is:ArcGIS Web Application

All of the map services and print service I'm using are on our public GIS server.   What I am trying to do now is the same thing, but using a map service published on our internal server (requiring employee login).    When I set it up the same way, pointing to the same print service, Task: Export Web Map  , all I get is an error message when trying to use the print widget in Web Appbuilder.

Does this have something to do with the fact that one of the map services is on an internal server, requiring login from our internal domain?  If so, how do I resolve this so I can print from the application?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lon,

The issue is that the map service is on an internal server and is secured. You mention that the one map service is on an internal server. Is its url accessible like your public server, but it just requires a login?

If so then see this thread for a possible answer:

WebApp Builder Print Widget error more than 2 services

LonSharp

Robert,

Yes, the url is accessible on the same public server.   ArcGIS Web Application  

It's one of the map services that requires login, and it does seem that it is what is causing the problem:   If I skip the login (as you'd have to do) and not load that service, I can print with no problem.   If I login to that service, it throws an error when    printing.   Unfortunately I still have no idea how to resolve it.   I even tried creating a print service on that internal server with the same templates, but I get the same problem.

I had seen the thread you referenced, but dismissed it as the solution there was to make sure the print service is set to Synchronous in the Execution Mode, which I had done when I initially set up the service.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lon,

Have you setup a proxy so that it will pass the credentials for the layer to the map service?

Setting up a Proxy | Support Services Blog

LonSharp

I haven't.    I'll give it a try, but I'm going to have to wait until one of my coworkers comes back from time off, as that looks like it's way over my head.

BTW, it finally occurred to me to check the logs on Server Manager, and it confirms that the secured service ("Owners") is the problem:

Error executing tool. Export Web Map Job ID: j12df57fe3e8041368423da3cfbcd04b3 : Layer "Owners": Unable to connect to map server at http://gisprivate:6080/arcgis/rest/services/Owners/MapServer. Failed to execute (ExportWebMap). Failed to execute (Export Web Map).

LonSharp

Another stupid question:   If I set up that proxy, would it go inside our firewall, with the serverURL pointing to my print service on the outside?   Or would it go on the server that is outside the firewall, pointing to the secured map service on the inside?

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lon,

I have the proxy on my web server (which is behind the firewall) and I use all external urls in the proxy.config.