Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition v2.5 enhancements

07-26-2017 03:20 PM
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI,

Attached is a document that lists all the bug fixes and enhancements (submitted via Esri Technical Support) that were addressed in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition v2.5. Please be aware that the list may include items that were found in the embedded version of Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS.

Hope this helps,

6 Replies
FrancescoTonini2
Occasional Contributor II

Derek Law‌ Thanks for this recap list, very useful! I have a follow up question since one or two of those bugs were submitted by me I believe. BUGXXXX91163: this bug seems listed for AGOL Web AppBuilder only...was the legend (and layerList widget) issue already addressed in WAB Dev Edition 2.5 as well? BUGXXXX85257: how were the messages of GP widgets improved specifically? Thank you!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Francesco,

> BUG-000091163 Legend: Web AppBuilder within ArcGIS Online intermittently makes a request to the legend information of a geoprocessing widget's output result.

This should be fixed in Web AppBuilder Developer Edition v2.5 as well.

> BUG-000085257 Improve geoprocessing messages in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS ... how were the messages of GP widgets improved specifically?

We improved some untranslated messages for users to understand what is happening in the widget. For example, instead of saying "esriJobSubmitted - esriJobExecuting", we modified them to be "Job is submitted - Job is executing". And we enabled the messages to be localized.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
FrancescoTonini2

Thanks Derek. Please see follow up to your answers below.

> BUG-000091163 Legend: Web AppBuilder within ArcGIS Online intermittently makes a request to the legend information of a geoprocessing widget's output result. 

This should be fixed in Web AppBuilder Developer Edition v2.5 as well.

I tested it again, and it seems like the GP wdiget config window now has two slots:

Name: Output_Raster

Type: ...

Required: false

Name: Geoprocessing/ForestCarbonEdge   <------REST end point of GP service

Type: MapServiceLayer

However, although I have my Output_Raster Label set as "Carbon Map", both the Legend and LayerList widgets still show the name "Output_Raster" (see below)

Is this intended behavior or a bug? And why is it hierarchically nested inside the name of the GP service?

> BUG-000085257 Improve geoprocessing messages in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS. 

We improved some untranslated messages for users to understand what is happening in the widget. For example, instead of saying "esriJobSubmitted - esriJobExecuting", we modified them to be "Job is submitted - Job is executing". And we enabled the messages to be localized.

I noticed in my case it says "Submitted" and "Executing". Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "enabled messages to be localized"? localized where?

BUG-000097703 When both "Add result as operational layer" and "Use the drawing options of map service"  are checked, etc..

I have both those check boxes selected so the result should be an operational layer. If that is the case, shouldn't the operational layer become available as an input to another GP widget? As of now, the "Output_raster" operational layer only shows "Description" when clicking the "..." next to the output layer. 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Francesco,

Apologies for the late reply, I had to check into some of your questions with the Dev team.

> Is this intended behavior or a bug? And why is it hierarchically nested inside the name of the GP service?

The fix for BUG-000091163 introduced a new bug, which you found.  If “View result with a map service” option is checked on, the output item should only contain the map service layer, and all sublayers should be hidden and not configurable. But there is a bug when re-opening the widget configuration window. We’ll work on fixing this for the next ArcGIS Online update (sometime this fall).

> Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "enabled messages to be localized"? localized where?

I meant that we enable messages to appear in different languages when returned from ArcGIS Online if you were to work with it in a different language.

> I have both those check boxes selected so the result should be an operational layer. If that is the case, shouldn't the operational layer become available as an input to another GP widget? As of now, the "Output_raster" operational layer only shows "Description" when clicking the "..." next to the output layer.

This (only shows “Description”) is expected to the GPRasterDataLayer layer type.

Hope this helps,

FrancescoTonini2

dlaw-esristaff

This (only shows “Description”) is expected to the GPRasterDataLayer layer type.

Then, what options do I have if I wanted to use an output raster from a GP service as input to another GP widget? Are there any available?

The fix for BUG-000091163 introduced a new bug, which you found.  If “View result with a map service” option is checked on, the output item should only contain the map service layer, and all sublayers should be hidden and not configurable. But there is a bug when re-opening the widget configuration window. We’ll work on fixing this for the next ArcGIS Online update (sometime this fall).

I noticed that the output label of a GP widget item will always say, e.g., "Output Raster" no matter to what I change this name to in the service editor in ArcMap when publishing the GP tools as a service. Am I mistaken? Because of the bug you mention above, which way should I go about this?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Francesco,

Apologies for the late reply, as I had to research answers.

> Then, what options do I have if I wanted to use an output raster from a GP service as input to another GP widget? Are there any available?

There is a way to support this workflow:

1. Configure GP service 1’s output to NOT using “View result with a map service”, so that the output raster will be a URL in the widget output at runtime;
  2. Configure GP service 2’s input with the URL;
  3. Run GP service 1 to get the output raster’s URL, then enter the URL to GP service 2 as input.

> I noticed that the output label of a GP widget item will always say, e.g., "Output Raster" no matter to what I change this name to in the service editor in ArcMap when publishing the GP tools as a service. Am I mistaken? Because of the bug you mention above, which way should I go about this?

Please open an issue with Esri Tech Support so we can investigate further with repro steps.

For future questions, please open a new thread - so other users in the community can search and find the question(s).

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos